Scupper solution

pescador

My scuppers are below the water line in particular when I am at trolling speed or stopped and have a couple of guys on the rear deck. If two of us need to lean over one side of the boat, we always get some water spilling thru the scupper onto the deck. Not a lot, but, enough to get your feet wet. I have heard guys talk about the "ping pong" ball system mounted along the drain line to eliminate this. Any ideas out there on how this works or any other solutions? Its not a huge problem, but a bit of a nuisance at times.....

the real thing you gotta worry about is if it rains a ton and your bilge quits working, those scuppers are gonna sink your boat...

My scuppers are below the water line too and it was a pain in the a.. I installed brass shut-off valves and keep them shut most of the time except when washing the boat.

I've got the factory installed ping pong ball system on my Seasport. It works great. The down side of them are once they close you sometimes have to push the ball back out. I take a pic on Sunday and post it here. You can always call Waypoint Marine in Seattle to get a price or maybe the Port Boat House in Port Alberni, I think they are selling Seasport now.

My boat sits on a trailer, so, low risk in terms of sinking. In fact, if I am not in the boat when its in the water, the scuppers are just at the water line so I don't think I have a sinking risk issue. I will look at the ping pong option at Waypoint. Thanks...

I have the ping pong ones on my Seasport as well and they will allow water in if there is any crap stuck inside the ball housing. I use the rubber/brass plugs on the inside if I'm really heavy in the water to keep the deck dry while fishing. I pull them out back at the dock.

Just found a $5.00 solution.. It's a 21/2"'poly leaf guard you stick in your eves trough down spout. All you have to do is cut off the flange and add a ping pong ball. I can't figure out how to post a pic.

Just found a $5.00 solution.. It's a 21/2"'poly leaf guard you stick in your eves trough down spout. All you have to do is cut off the flange and add a ping pong ball. I can't figure out how to post a pic.

Here is the photo!

image.jpg

You really should re install them higher up for safety's sake

I would not use any cheap plastic in any thru hull that close to the water line. A log could drift by at night while the boat is tied up and break it...out falls the ball and now you have a nice hole that even harbour waves could splash water up and into the boat. I removed my original plasic outer housing and had Crest Sheet Metal make me up stainless ones. My plastic ones were getting brittle and there were hairline cracks starting ti show radiating out from the mounting screw holes.

That's a good idea. So if you don't mind, Once you pull the boat home, I'm going to have a look at those.

It will be home in late October Barrie

I have the ping pong balls on my Seasport too. They are called Flow-Max. Watch it when you google that name though. lol
They were cracked and I wanted to replace them. Found the same ones online at The Chandlery Online and ordered a couple of new ones.
They seem to do the job. I could put a rubber plug in the cockpit side if I wanted them to be sealed. They sell various size wedge shaped rubber plugs at Rona in the hardware isle.
Here is the site for the Scuppers. Mine were large size.

http://www.thechandleryonline.com/a...7f0slm1chi8a3g3s25rl227&search.x=0&search.y=0

I am a little curious here-my Skagit has rectangular scuppers with a flap-the only time I get water coming in is when hauling crab traps and 3 guys with the trap on one side. Is there a better way to handle this? I assume those flaps should be closely inspected which I will do-is there a better retro-fit for a system such as mine? Really have given them no real thought since they seem to be ok.

Back