Scupper solution

Just returned from a trip to Bamfield where I was shocked to find water way too high in the bilge of my new boat.The problem was the water was backing up through the scuppers and overflowing the rear floor hatch into the bilge.I have the ping pong ball drains on the lower transom but I guess with a full tank of gas,extra gear and 3 -200 pound guys at the stern they didn't work and I couldn't see that water was going over the lip under the hatch.Another factor was my float switch came loose and wasn't working.I now have a list of things to do,I didn't realize it was such a common problem.

Just returned from a trip to Bamfield where I was shocked to find water way too high in the bilge of my new boat.The problem was the water was backing up through the scuppers and overflowing the rear floor hatch into the bilge.I have the ping pong ball drains on the lower transom but I guess with a full tank of gas,extra gear and 3 -200 pound guys at the stern they didn't work and I couldn't see that water was going over the lip under the hatch.Another factor was my float switch came loose and wasn't working.I now have a list of things to do,I didn't realize it was such a common problem.
As long as the ball is below water level you will get some water coming in just from wave action on the ball . They are not meant to totally stop water coming in only slow it down. Best thing is to use a rubber plug.
If your boat at moorage normally sits with the scuppers above water level then you can leave the plug out to drain rain water. My Campion had that problem too. 2 or 3 guys in the back fighting a fish and couldn't figure out why the bilge pump kept going on. Good idea to check the float switch operation now and then too!

Back