Gel Coat Repair Info

sudsy

Just wanted to pass on some info regarding gel coat repair. First off, I have zero experience with doing anything regarding fiberglass repair but i am pretty handy so i decided to take on this task i get my boat ready for the upcoming season.

After searching the internet i came to the realization that if i wanted to fix a few nicks and sratches with gel coat that i would have to either buy a kit that i would have to adjust and tint to match my boat color, or i could buy a factory matched product. I decided to go with the Factory matched.

I got my gel coat repair kit from spectrum color out of washington, they sell tons of different kits and they are boat specific,

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/

I recieved my kit to my door for around 60$ and that inluded the factory matched gel coat (2 oz) and the hardener. I did a couple of test spots and am very happy with the outcome, ease of use and the drying time. I will try and load some pictures later, but i do have some more spots to fix so i will take before and after photos then.

I also repaired all the holes in my transom that the previous owner used as a pin cusion mounting all kinds of stuff to it. I used the advice of some members on here and went with Marinetex epoxy,

Ease of use was pretty good, wasnt too sure with the weather if it would cure as it recommends applying in 12 degrees Celcius or above, 22 degrees optimal for 24hr curing time.

I ended up doing it anyways and set up a heat lamp to aid in the curing process,

Overall after using both of these products i am happy to say that even with no experience, it seems less scary to take on the task of repairing nicks and holes.

Back