Gear upgrading any thoughts?

After beating up my gear, I am looking at replaceing my Downrigger rods and reels and jigging rods and reels, any thoughts as what is the best? not going to go cheap-o- thanks.

For a downrigger rod I like the Shimano Technium, light, fused eyes, cork handle and virtually indestructable.

Reel: If you can afford it a Islander MR3, if not a new Rapala Northwest single action or a Shimano 4000 G Moocher Plus.

My 2 bits.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

quote:Originally posted by Highliner

Fenwick HMX rods are also a good value.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

X2 to that !!!

If money is no object, GLoomis or Sage with Islander are great too.

Techniums take a ___kickin' and keep on tickin'... '

You can't go wrong with any of these.

quote:Originally posted by Highliner

Fenwick HMX rods are also a good value.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

x3 -- lifetime warranty. On my first two, a whole series of the eyelets popped out after the first couple of uses. Replaced with no haggle by Island Outfitters.

TenMile
<'((((><

quote:Originally posted by salmonlander

Unknown: What number is on the Techniums? Thanks

Not to answer for Unknown, but head into a couple of shops and check out the selection available. There are several different versions with different actions and power ratings. There are some with Fuji Guides and there are ones with Chrome Guides...

Some people don't like the Heavy Power Moochers...I love 'em....but there are some Mediums out there which offer lots of "sport" feel and less power...but they work just fine. Personally, I like to get my fish in before Mr. Whiskers or some great big Stellar Sea Lion lunches on my catch of the day.

I now have multiple sets of Shimano Convergences and Techniums...love 'em all..but I love the Custom G Loomis and Sages even more.....I don't use 'em. Sigh.

I have both the Convergence moochers and some Trophy rods. I am kind of partial to Sage as all my river rods are Sages and I am very happy with them,just don't know how much beating in a boat they will take. The Shimano might justify looking real hard at it. I was thinking along the lines of the MR3's for reels, but for getting the gear up quick, I use the Charter Special 2000LD with a power handle and it works satisfactorily.

quote:Originally posted by holmes

this is my go to rod reel and tacklebox all in one:Dholmes*
pocketfisherman.jpg
I saw a guy hook a steelhead on one of these Popeil jobs once. The pocket fisherman lost the battle. LOL

Back