Gateway marina in Port Renfrew in trouble

islandbc

I just heard the gateway marina 2015 season is in question. Seems the CRD has pulled their temporary use permit, ministry of natural resources has inspected the site with un permitted work has occurred, the local native band has issues with a documented burial cave onsite, and the locals are just plain pissed off with the whole situation because lack of consultation.
Seems there was a recent meeting and it all fell apart, not to mention the development above the gateway marina has big issues with septic and water. The owners are holding a meeting with the locals this week.
Anyone else hear this

No...........Strange that this is your first post? lol I know that they have sent out seasonal moorage applications and are getting ready to start the season May 15th. I can also tell you as an owner of one of the cabins in the developement above the marina that there isn't a water or septic issue and you are welcome to stop by for a glass of water or use the bathroom if you are in the neighbourhood....lol Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is my first post, but I've surfed this forum for a long time, however, when I was in the hotel pub having lunch 3 days ago, that is what the locals who live there were discussing the local topic of the day, just what I said in my first post, that they were going to the local meeting hosted by the marina owners, all above noted issues are relevant, and i'm told may more underlying issues are to be brought to light. Im told tonight that there was a meeting held and it was well attended and the local first nation band is opposed to any expansion and the expansion permit is cancelled and there was also discussion of high fecal colliform run off fron the development above the marina entering the environment.
That's what I was told and if anyone else can expand on this topic

I'm sure expansion is on the back burner for now as I'm sure nobody that has had the monopoly out there would want any more business competition for moorage etc. As far as the rest of your info it seems pretty well informed for just being out there for lunch three days ago??? Lol. The septic system where I am is engineered and certified by all the necessary authorities and is a long ways from the water so highly doubt the development can be totally to blame....IMO. I'm not sure however every other place out there would be up to code.......Anyways......could actually care less about most of the mud slinging as long as I can go fish and enjoy the area with my family. Which is why I bought out there in the first place.....I'll leave the politics to people that have more spare time than me to be involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
The marina has many advantages to the community and they go far beyond just sport fishing, transit pleasure boats can now stop by, commercial vessels would have access, coast guard could provide rescue support and most importantly a base to have a first responder to an oil spill. This response depot would be manned and resourced to be a first responder if a spill of cargo or bunker oil happened. The maritime transit industry must fund this type of response service and they are looking for a depot along the lower West Coast. Port Renfrew is a perfect spot if they had a safe harbor to operate out of. SO a properly built Marina is the foundation of the community gaining control of the outer waterways and managing risk on their own terms.

We will work together as a community

The marina has many advantages to the community and they go far beyond just sport fishing, transit pleasure boats can now stop by, commercial vessels would have access, coast guard could provide rescue support and most importantly a base to have a first responder to an oil spill. This response depot would be manned and resourced to be a first responder if a spill of cargo or bunker oil happened. The maritime transit industry must fund this type of response service and they are looking for a depot along the lower West Coast. Port Renfrew is a perfect spot if they had a safe harbor to operate out of. SO a properly built Marina is the foundation of the community gaining control of the outer waterways and managing risk on their own terms.

We will work together as a community

Is there not a taxpayer paid Federal Dock in Port Renfrew?

No

Sent from my iPhone

What happened to it? Did they give it away? It was fairly robust and could easily handle a coast guard vessel or a first response oil spill unit. Why would the taxpayer want to pay rent at the marina when we already owned an excellent dock.

Gateway marina development 2015 website posted a bunch of stuff in relation to the doccumented native burial locations within the development area on their web site this past weekend, I looked today and some of the links to doccuments have been removed? one was in reference to the developer knowing about these sites back many years, cultural modified trees, middens and more burial locations with I believe it mentioned remains, when they purchased the property many years ago. However, so I go for a fish in my tin boat this past weekend, no luck at east point, and a cruze by the devlopment, from the water it is clear a significant amount of material has been removed, disturbed, etc, Im assuming for preparation for expansion, Im sure those burial caves / caverns / archelogical sites as described in the web links and reference to maps (2013) are either obliverated or collapsed. So, my question back is, if the developer knew about the sacred sites, and as mentioned in their professional studies (a buffer is required, no development near the locations), why would you go and do such devestation and propose a huge expansion that would obliverate first nations burial sites?
If I was a property owner of the developement above the marina, I'd be pretty miffed too at possible desecration of a doccumented burial site.
I'm just asking, has any property owners in that development heard any different, and any word from the marina owners / fisherman / charter operators about 2015 season start out of gateway marina.

ob·lit·er·ate
əˈblidəˌrāt/
verb
verb: obliterate; 3rd person present: obliterates; past tense: obliterated; past participle: obliterated; gerund or present participle: obliterating

I don't know-the English language is a living growing thing-perhaps we should make way for words such as "obliverate" "disastrophe" "discombuvalate"-hell 10 years ago nobody knew what it meant to "Google" something -now everybody does it. I'm all for it; although I suspect many English teachers would roll over in their graves!! They Do still have "English" teachers-don't they. LOL

0clip_image002.png

West Coast guides Association

May 6, 2015
Re: Pacific Gateway Marina Sent via e-mail

Attention:

Mr. Mark Harvey

Dear Mark,

I’m writing to you in my capacity as the President of the West Coast Fishing Guide’s Association. We are a membership organization representing over 120 active guides, and growing.

Our organization is committed to working with government and NGO’s to ensure the diverse fishery on the west coast of BC is well understood and protected. That is why our members have directed me to write this letter of support for the Lease extension for the Pacific Gateway Marina.

Closure of the marina would have adverse affects for our members who conduct their charter operations from the Marina. Presently there are 20 or more operators who depend on the marina for their businesses. Closure of the marina would mean these operators would be displaced and there is a current shortage of available moorage. Moreover, the local economy of Port Renfrew will be negatively impacted by the possible closure.

We would appreciate if the Ministry could reconsider the potential closure of the marina. Any updates you can provide to us would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Pat Ahern
President, WCFGA

cc

WCFGA Members

Back