Gateway marina in Port Renfrew in trouble

Letter sent - hope it helps make a difference.

West Coast guides Association

May 6, 2015
Re: Pacific Gateway Marina Sent via e-mail

Attention:

Mr. Mark Harvey

Dear Mark,

I’m writing to you in my capacity as the President of the West Coast Fishing Guide’s Association. We are a membership organization representing over 120 active guides, and growing.

Our organization is committed to working with government and NGO’s to ensure the diverse fishery on the west coast of BC is well understood and protected. That is why our members have directed me to write this letter of support for the Lease extension for the Pacific Gateway Marina.

Closure of the marina would have adverse affects for our members who conduct their charter operations from the Marina. Presently there are 20 or more operators who depend on the marina for their businesses. Closure of the marina would mean these operators would be displaced and there is a current shortage of available moorage. Moreover, the local economy of Port Renfrew will be negatively impacted by the possible closure.

We would appreciate if the Ministry could reconsider the potential closure of the marina. Any updates you can provide to us would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Pat Ahern
President, WCFGA

cc

WCFGA Members

Gateway marina development 2015 website posted a bunch of stuff in relation to the doccumented native burial locations within the development area on their web site this past weekend, I looked today and some of the links to doccuments have been removed? one was in reference to the developer knowing about these sites back many years, cultural modified trees, middens and more burial locations with I believe it mentioned remains, when they purchased the property many years ago. However, so I go for a fish in my tin boat this past weekend, no luck at east point, and a cruze by the devlopment, from the water it is clear a significant amount of material has been removed, disturbed, etc, Im assuming for preparation for expansion, Im sure those burial caves / caverns / archelogical sites as described in the web links and reference to maps (2013) are either obliverated or collapsed. So, my question back is, if the developer knew about the sacred sites, and as mentioned in their professional studies (a buffer is required, no development near the locations), why would you go and do such devestation and propose a huge expansion that would obliverate first nations burial sites?
If I was a property owner of the developement above the marina, I'd be pretty miffed too at possible desecration of a doccumented burial site.
I'm just asking, has any property owners in that development heard any different, and any word from the marina owners / fisherman / charter operators about 2015 season start out of gateway marina.

Sympathy for the cause will not be found with the developer in question. The absence of the marina will negatively affect the cabins above the marina. That area for years was used as a commercial log sort, then private marina. No mention of sacred sites then.

This regrettably follows a pattern seen too often, in that sacred sites only come to light when someone needs a low cost, very defensible reason to scuttle a project on land that does not belong to them. I hope the ministers and government will see reason here.

First off my apologies for my spelling mistake, at 66 years of age some times computers get the best of me, lol
I've been fishing in Renfrew since 1972, when more than 4 boats at owen point was a jam, and swiftshore was only a dream, seen alot of change in Renfrew, some good, some bad, for the most part I don't care for the new vision, to big of change, too fast, however I have to ask, how many marinas does Renfrew need? There is already 6 marinas, private and public, the old dryland sort, butch jack, gateway, the community dock, and botany bay. Anyways, I found a link online today for the meeting held last weekend in Renfrew by the patcheedaht it's a good read. Anyways, I'll be fishing east point on saterday in my old tinny. Tight lines everyone
www.hashilthsa.com / patcheedaht

The old sign was a fitting ode to Renfrew;if not mistaken part of it read 'look at the big picture' times change and yes there are other things to do besides fishing. I remember years back,spacing trees up near the old growth,looking down and saying there will trees here for another 100 years...unfortunately that wasn't the case, you don't need to look too far up the hills to see a clear cut.

Moving forward the area has become somewhat of a recreational magnet,W.C Trail,Botanical Beach,Carmanah and the odd lonely old growth giant.Alas Renfrew needs employment for its residents,Native or otherwise,progress is a just an hour or two away.Renfrew is a like a gem;a little polish and all its facets will shine...;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link islandbc. I smell MONEY. I have also fished and camped in that area for many years. What a shame to hear paradise is being paved for a parking lot. Of course that beach is an important salmon habitat area right in front of the San Juan River. We blame past logging for salmon decline but then go forward with something like this. I don't get it.

Pacific Gateway Marina is open for business and is open for business May 1 this year.

I just heard the gateway marina 2015 season is in question. Seems the CRD has pulled their temporary use permit, ministry of natural resources has inspected the site with un permitted work has occurred, the local native band has issues with a documented burial cave onsite, and the locals are just plain pissed off with the whole situation because lack of consultation.
Seems there was a recent meeting and it all fell apart, not to mention the development above the gateway marina has big issues with septic and water. The owners are holding a meeting with the locals this week.
Anyone else hear this

Pacific Gateway Marina is open for business and is open for business May 1 this year. PGM has a Temporary use permit (TUP) issued from the CRD to operate the current marina while it is going through the re-zoning process. This is standard practice for re-zoning applications. The marina has uplands situated above the water lot lease. The property that has a ongoing construction and development plan is located above the cave area and is not PGM property. PGM is working with the other developers and the CRD to increase the water capacity for the Community. PGM and other developers are also working on a sewage management system that will add capacity to the Port Renfrew sewage requirements. PGM host's an annual fathers day fishing derby and returns proceeds to support salmon enhancement projects in and around the Port Renfrew area. PGM has an extensive record of consultation attempts with the local first nations and government and has followed the government process as required. PGM was provided with a written letter of advisement from DFO that supports the breakwater proposed for this development. DFO assesses the impact of the development against Commercial, Recreational and Aboriginal fisheries. DFO is the the Federal authority that approves the process. Please see the Pacific Gateway Marina website for a list of reports provided to government and first nations. pacificgatewaymarina.ca. PGM is a family owned and operated company with a vision to build the fishing platform on the west coast in an environmentally sensitive and sustainable fashion. My name is Paul McFadden President of Pacific Gateway Marina.

Back