Garmin GPS with MapSource

jimbob

I have a handheld Garmin GPS with MapSource charts for the Vancouver Island area. I currently run the program on my home computer. The heldheld is monochrome and has a small display so it is difficult to see on the boat. What I would like to do is to buy an inexpensive laptop and put the program on the laptop so that I can navigate on the boat with a much larger colour screen.

Does anyone know how to move the program from my home computer to a laptop? Do I have to buy another "map chip" to do the transfer?

As long as you have the installation disks, it is simply a matter reinstalling on the laptop same as you did on your home computer.

Hey Jimbob. I run Garmin Bluecharts too. I can't remember if it lets you load it on more than one computer. You may have to call Garmin and request another key or you may just have to tranfer to the laptop only. I run it off my laptop but could not figure out how to get GPS input to make it live. I actually don't think it lets you do it. Currently I just transfer to my handheld and use the laptop for route plotting and trip planning. I have a colour GPSMAP 76C which is small but works great. I am looking to upgrade to a larger GPSMAP/Sounder and like the Garmin product but not the 5" models they have as I want a bigger screen. May look at the new Lowrance HD units in 7" or 8" screens. However would have to switch charting programs. grr!
SR

If you have the disc and code you can put on as many as you want, and then plug your handheld in with cord you can get from garmin

If you have the disc and code you can put on as many as you want, and then plug your handheld in with cord you can get from garmin

I don't think it will give you live tracking on the laptop. You can only transfer maps and routes back and forth,. Could be wrong but cannot get it to track on my laptop. There aren't any course settings in the program either like course up, follow boat, center on boat etc.

I don't think it will give you live tracking on the laptop. You can only transfer maps and routes back and forth,. Could be wrong but cannot get it to track on my laptop. There aren't any course settings in the program either like course up, follow boat, center on boat etc.

Mine does live tracking, i have used it in the boat, and I personally have it on 3 compters of my own and 2 of my buddies Its garmin Blue chart right off the CD:)

Mine does live tracking, i have used it in the boat, and I personally have it on 3 compters of my own and 2 of my buddies Its garmin Blue chart right off the CD:)

Hey Humpy, I have tried to get mine to plot but won't work. I have Mapsource 6.15 and bluecharts v9. I have the GPSMAP 76C and have tried it in NEMA mode and Garmin mode with both serial and USB. Any ideas to get it to work?
SR

NewBoat2-1.jpg

Hey Humpy, I have tried to get mine to plot but won't work. I have Mapsource 6.15 and bluecharts v9. I have the GPSMAP 76C and have tried it in NEMA mode and Garmin mode with both serial and USB. Any ideas to get it to work?
SR

NewBoat2-1.jpg

I have 5.0, and I downloaded it, and bought the cord, to plug into my GPS and laptop...... not sure how but it works, you can call Garmin support and they helped me. my cord from Garmin also plugs in to 12v...and lap top and 60c gps.......... my 60c has charts in it also but it uses the chart in the laptop...... I load my fixed mount GPS from my computer... Im sorry im not real savey but it works[8)]

quote:Originally posted by Sir Reel

SR

Garmin changed their auto-routing navigation beginning with programs above 5.0 If you are running 6.15 and want auto tracking download the nRoute software, current version 2.7.6 is available here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=575

It won’t read your current saved waypoints or routes. This nRoute version only reads MPS files as well as GDB files version 2 and older, but if you have an antennae it will track.

Hope this helps!

I agree with Charlie. I contacted Garmin and they said to download nRoute and it would give me real time navigation with Mapsource and my GPS through a laptop. nRoute is free and takes about 20 minutes to download. I will give it a try on the water soon and let everyone know if it works.

Hi Charlie, I downloaded nRoute software and it works!
Thanks so much for the tip. jimbob look forward to a real world on the water test. Thanks guys.
SR

NewBoat2-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sir Reel

Hi Charlie, I downloaded nRoute software and it works!
Thanks so much for the tip. jimbob look forward to a real world on the water test. Thanks guys.
SR

Glad it worked! :)

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Back