Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

It’s been interesting watching these Candy Cane peppers grow and transform. Unfortunately it looks like most of my peppers will ripen just in time for me to be away in Barkley Sound.
Oh well, it’s a good trade off.

Attachments

• IMG_3447.jpeg
    IMG_3447.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 12
Got our garlic drying, we put it out before our trip so its just about ready to bag up.

Attachments

• 0CE644F4-239C-410C-AF00-7D3718B9A1A3.jpeg
    0CE644F4-239C-410C-AF00-7D3718B9A1A3.jpeg
    492.7 KB · Views: 41
  • C73AF41E-1A75-4C32-85B8-14EEB998750A.jpeg
    C73AF41E-1A75-4C32-85B8-14EEB998750A.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 40
  • 3F5A3D5D-E0E9-4DEE-9F05-E4EA290F7BE9.jpeg
    3F5A3D5D-E0E9-4DEE-9F05-E4EA290F7BE9.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 40
Opalka and San Marzano varieties.
Just 12 quarts and some sauce so far. Looks like we are past the half way point as far as what's left on the plants. In Calgary we had to pinch out the tops by August 1st then it would snow by Labour Day some times. Will wait till a bit here in Okanagan. Jade beans continue to produce, melons are coming, peppers are plentiful but mostly still green. 38C today.
IMG_20230815_075539792.jpg

I have four tomato plants on the patio. I picked tomatoes yesterday from them and got 4 from our patio tomato planter and just over 300 from the cherry, Romano and dipper plants. The dipper tomatoes turn orange and a light green when ripe, they are so tender and sweet. I will be growing them next year.

Attachments

• tomatoes Aug 17.jpg
    tomatoes Aug 17.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 11
I have a great crop of small orange cherry tomatoes on my deck. But the two other plants in pots in my backyard suffer from blossom end rot. I guess I need more calcium in my soil???

backyard suffer from blossom end rot.

it's usually from inconstant watering or lack of watering. I found end rot to be worse in pots, in hot days like now pots need to be watered 2 to 3 times a day, I usually can only get to it once day.

calcium is a micro nutrient available almost anywhere, If you use egg shell to improve it they take 2 years to break down for the calcium to be available.

it's usually from inconstant watering or lack of watering. I found end rot to be worse in pots, in hot days like now pots need to be watered 2 to 3 times a day, I usually can only get to it once day.

calcium is a micro nutrient available almost anywhere, If you use egg shell to improve it they take 2 years to break down for the calcium to be available.
I’ve been told powdered milk is a good source of calcium in the garden. Not sure if that’s a wife’s tale or not????

I put my egg shells in the coffee grinder and grind them till they are basically dust, no end rot this year and been getting tomatoes for about 6 weeks now. the early girls are great for getting early tomatoes and some of the tastiest this year., still get some rot on a few zukes though but since I put them on a trellis a little while ago it's been better.

I’ve been told powdered milk is a good source of calcium in the garden. Not sure if that’s a wife’s tale or not????

I’ve heard that too but I don’t no if there is science to support it, there’s probably a liquid organic fertilizer that would work really well

Being on edge due to potential fire evacuation led to us put about 30lbs of tomatoes in the freezer yesterday. Perhaps a premature decision as we're still here. Anybody tried canning after freezing?

Back