Future Halibut Possession Regs

One of the reason Canada has been able to get more of the tac is because of how responsible we are in managing it... IPHC does have a lot of faith in our monitoring and management... as sunrun says..its the wild west in alaska..very said

Thanks Derby!

When our government has the different sectors fighting for the scraps left over from the commercial sector of course we will start turning on each other.

This BS mess we are in needs to be addressed. Only answer is more TAC
Actually, the commercial sector and rec boys work well together in the IPHC process. It could be a model for how we should be working in future.

We have more in common than we want to admit. Once upon a time I had a fairly crappy and uninformed view of the commercial sector. Having spent some time with their reps lately in various meetings, I have come to realize a few things.

First, they care as much as we do about the fishery. Second, they have some incredibly talented people who understand the fishery and the intersection between it and the DFO science. Third, if we (I'm included in the "we") started looking for win/win opportunities we might actually do a lot better job jointly managing the fishery.
I also think that many FN's are starting to take steps down that same road. Poor DFO if we ever actually start working together. They won't know what to do when we can't be divided into silos.

When our government has the different sectors fighting for the scraps left over from the commercial sector of course we will start turning on each other.

This BS mess we are in needs to be addressed. Only answer is more TAC
Hate to break it to you but us commercials have been cut by over 50%. If you don’t think we are all fighting over scraps you are sadly mistaken.

It is time for the sectors to sit down and work something out before it’s too late for all of us.

Hate to break it to you but us commercials have been cut by over 50%. If you don’t think we are all fighting over scraps you are sadly mistaken.

It is time for the sectors to sit down and work something out before it’s too late for all of us.

I have no problem with the notion of sectors working together in an effort to find ways of holding DFO to task etc. I would like to know what "Work something out" means and how it would equate to the rec sector having a fair and equitable portion of Canadian TAC.? We can talk about the cuts we have all shared over the years all we like. Non of that is at all relevant to the disproportionate level of allocation seen to date. I am sure there are some of you who would see a fix in it if there was enough money on the table!!

I find it hard to believe 10% of our rec catch is release mortality. Number is way inflated. Should probably be closer to 20,000 I’m betting. They don’t even have studies that show what it should be no? And xrq went way up but isn’t part of rec...are they including it in it?

XRQ is commercial not rec. The only time it gets counted as Rec is when people cheat on the XRQ program and have their catch recorded as rec by not recording it in their log book to avoid paying. XRQ is a bad thing for the rec fishery for this and a host of other reasons.

Looking at the coast-wide allocation reported in the IPHC the break down for overall Rec is 20%, not the 15% we have here in Canada. Clearly Canada is short-changing the Rec fleet when it comes to allocation based on what happens elsewhere.

Yes, I agree - the sooner we start actually talking openly and honestly about what we both need to make the fishery work the better. We also need to better coordinate our efforts at the IPHC than ever before - the US side is closing ranks and is no longer as fractured as they once were. We Canadians have to work together in every sense more than we have in prior years. Good thing Canada has very solid Commissioners!!

One could argue that if their is not enough halibut for Canadians then We should not exports it.

Commercially or recreationally.

If we banned the export of it and disallowed retention on no residence license

Might be cheaper in the stores and rec tac would be used up slower:

Or is it just another commodify like beef? Whp ever pays the most get it.

Last edited:
Here you go - its coast-wide not one specific area. If we want to cherry pick areas, then use 15% for Canada, but that is hardly a fair representation of the coastal distribution, which is why my post stuck to the actual data. Rec mortality is 9.2% based on IPHC numbers.

Snip20181112_3.png

Last edited:
So, here data to show how we (Area 2B) are doing in terms of how closely we are getting to attaining or using our Rec TAC by year since 2013. Includes catch mortality plus discard (release) mortality. Because we do not have carry over underage/overage TAC like the Commercial fishery can apply, DFO requires us to plan to achieve 100% in our planning. Given all the many variables coming within 10% of the target is good. 2013 to 2016 we were overly conservative in our estimates.

The last 2 years have been better. The real difficult hurtle to overcome is if we are to be less risk adverse in planning, we must be prepared to accept increasing risk of early closure. That happened in 2017 - so we need the SFAC groups to wrestle with how they would like to approach this risk.

We can be more aggressive in our decisions if we are also prepared to accept more risk. Let your SFAC know how much risk you are prepared to accept for an early closure.

Snip20181112_4.png

Attachments

• Snip20181112_4.png
    Snip20181112_4.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the offer Pat. Gamechanger brought some of the proposals with him and we waded through the exercise. After our new Chair gets settled in, I expect that the minutes will be posted here.

Thanks for the offer Pat. Gamechanger brought some of the proposals with him and we waded through the exercise. After our new Chair gets settled in, I expect that the minutes will be posted here.
Awesome, great to see new people stepping up to get involved. Anything we can do to help, please shout. Totally stoked to see new ideas, new people.

Yes, I agree - the sooner we start actually talking openly and honestly about what we both need to make the fishery work the better. We also need to better coordinate our efforts at the IPHC than ever before - the US side is closing ranks and is no longer as fractured as they once were. We Canadians have to work together in every sense more than we have in prior years. Good thing Canada has very solid Commissioners!!
You do know we have one new commissioner and 2 from DFO?? Personally I don’t trust DFO one bit.

Yes, and I think our new Commissioner is excellent. There is only 1 DFO appointed commissioner. One of our commissioners is indeed a former DFO employee, but again that person is also an excellent, well informed and strong voice for Canada.

Anyone ever consider starting a poll to see which options for season length etc. Are most popular?

Yes, and I think our new Commissioner is excellent. There is only 1 DFO appointed commissioner. One of our commissioners is indeed a former DFO employee, but again that person is also an excellent, well informed and strong voice for Canada.
At present there are 2 DFO appointed commissioners. No FN at the table this year.

Back