Future Halibut Possession Regs

NPUE total went 17% or so total. WPUE went up closer to 20%. U32” NPUE went up but around 4-5% so similar. Emailed iphc for latter info.

NPUE total went 17% or so total. WPUE went up closer to 20%. U32” NPUE went up but around 4-5% so similar. Emailed iphc for latter info.

Sorry, but I am trying to get upto speed with the terminology... What does this mean?

Npue is number per unit effort (I believe). Wpue is weight per unit effort. U32” npue is number per unit effort of halibut under 32” (is supposed to indicate recruitment). You want the numbers to go up as from 2016 to 2017 they went way down which was why we took a cut.

Spent some time chatting with one of our Commissioners today. The data is still coming in. Nothing concrete yet. I would suggest we have some biological challenges coast-wide to contend with. Read into that, don't get your hopes up.

Npue is number per unit effort (I believe). Wpue is weight per unit effort. U32” npue is number per unit effort of halibut under 32” (is supposed to indicate recruitment). You want the numbers to go up as from 2016 to 2017 they went way down which was why we took a cut.

Thanks!

Spent some time chatting with one of our Commissioners today. The data is still coming in. Nothing concrete yet. I would suggest we have some biological challenges coast-wide to contend with. Read into that, don't get your hopes up.
Some of the data is out. Area 2B is pretty much unchanged except for the space time ( ********) modelling they do now. For a guy involved in the process for the last 23 years I can tell you the USA is out to screw us royally. Iphc has no clue as to mortality in the north west regions. I hear there surveys tanked again. That means they will be trying to drag BC down again as they divide the coastwide biomass up using bottom area. This way of dividing the fish up is the crux of our problem here. We really need people to talk to our commissioners and take a strong stance that survey and commercial WPUE in our area tells a story that IPHC has refused to listen to. We are not asking for more fish but I sure don’t see any signs in this area that signify we need a cut.

Some of the data is out. Area 2B is pretty much unchanged except for the space time ( ********) modelling they do now. For a guy involved in the process for the last 23 years I can tell you the USA is out to screw us royally. Iphc has no clue as to mortality in the north west regions. I hear there surveys tanked again. That means they will be trying to drag BC down again as they divide the coastwide biomass up using bottom area. This way of dividing the fish up is the crux of our problem here. We really need people to talk to our commissioners and take a strong stance that survey and commercial WPUE in our area tells a story that IPHC has refused to listen to. We are not asking for more fish but I sure don’t see any signs in this area that signify we need a cut.

Great information Fish4all, I herd again NRKW were picking halibut again of sets to the points where guys were forced to move their sets once the whales moved in. Don't here about it in the media but it sure seems like the NRKW are making halibut a big part of their diet.

Great information Fish4all, I herd again NRKW were picking halibut again of sets to the points where guys were forced to move their sets once the whales moved in. Don't here about it in the media but it sure seems like the NRKW are making halibut a big part of their diet.
Yes they are a pain in the butt in 2 areas of the coast before the salmon show up and at the end of the season. Odd the northern whales can adapt but the southern ones can’t. Makes me wonder what the true problem is with the south coast whales.

Thanks, and agreed. Going to be rather interesting time this year at IPHC meetings. Let's focus on working with Canada's Conference Board team to help address those issues.

Yes they are a pain in the butt in 2 areas of the coast before the salmon show up and at the end of the season. Odd the northern whales can adapt but the southern ones can’t. Makes me wonder what the true problem is with the south coast whales.

sick/polluted whales dont eat. they arent hungry, they are sick.

There is now some data coming out on the recent deaths of the SRKW and it appears cancer is a factor.

There is now some data coming out on the recent deaths of the SRKW and it appears cancer is a factor.
Hadn't heard that, can you post up data? That is not surprising, Dr. Trites has been saying that for some time now.

Interesting catch data - preliminary as of Oct - Canada's Rec catch data is only good to the end of August from what I understand. Challenges being the release morts and XRQ being recorded as rec catch. Bycatch is also a challenge for us. Commercial discard mort is not yet in either...lots of wiggle room however.
Snip20181107_1.png

Interesting catch data - preliminary as of Oct - Canada's Rec catch data is only good to the end of August from what I understand. Challenges being the release morts and XRQ being recorded as rec catch. Bycatch is also a challenge for us. Commercial discard mort is not yet in either...lots of wiggle room however.
View attachment 41334
Pretty sad they just fill in the blank for FN. this unaccountability is frustrating.

Pretty sad they just fill in the blank for FN. this unaccountability is frustrating.
That is funny! I was at the Minister's Year of the Salmon conference hearing from FN leaders about how we need to take immediate steps to deal with the un-regulated, un-monitored, non-accountable and out of control rec fishery. Everyone pointing fingers.

Canada does have the most robust catch monitoring/reporting program of all the IPHC members - despite any flaws we may have - far superior to everyone else, especially AK - now there's a wild west jurisdiction when it comes to catch monitoring if ever one saw it.

That is funny! I was at the Minister's Year of the Salmon conference hearing from FN leaders about how we need to take immediate steps to deal with the un-regulated, un-monitored, non-accountable and out of control rec fishery. Everyone pointing fingers.

Canada does have the most robust catch monitoring/reporting program of all the IPHC members - despite any flaws we may have - far superior to everyone else, especially AK - now there's a wild west jurisdiction when it comes to catch monitoring if ever one saw it.

Makes me think our robust catch monitoring might be part of the problem. If we followed suit with Alaska maybe we could play the same hand???

I just hope our IPHC reps hold strong and dont give into pressure from the USA. I cant imagine making any concessions with a country that allows Alaska to operate the way they do. We shouldn't come to an agreement just for the sake of having an agreement. If the IPHC dosent work with the current USA administration then walk away until someone who will work with others takes office.

Now I admitt to not being a well rounded person with these matters so forgive me if I'm over simplifying things.

When our government has the different sectors fighting for the scraps left over from the commercial sector of course we will start turning on each other.

This BS mess we are in needs to be addressed. Only answer is more TAC

Last edited:
Makes me think our robust catch monitoring might be part of the problem. If we followed suit with Alaska maybe we could play the same hand???

I just hope our IPHC reps hold strong and dont give into pressure from the USA. I cant imagine making any concessions with a country that allows Alaska to operate the way they do. We shouldn't come to an agreement just for the sake of having an agreement. If the IPHC dosent work with the current USA administration then walk away until someone who will work with others takes office.

Now I admitt to not being a well rounded person with these matters so forgive me if I'm over simplifying things.

One of the reason Canada has been able to get more of the tac is because of how responsible we are in managing it... IPHC does have a lot of faith in our monitoring and management... as sunrun says..its the wild west in alaska..very said

Back