Frozen steering cable

spring fever

Got my 40 hp Suzuki started down here in Baja-everything looked great--except I can't budge the steering- Not like I can go to the local boatyard and get a new cable-Any tips on how to free this up?

Disconnect the nut on the end of the arm and see if the motor moves without the cable attached.
If it does, your cable is shot.
If it doesn't move, the grease in the tilt tube has solidified.
Try putting heat on it to see if you can get it moving.
Since you're in Baja, I'm guessing a replacement cable ?

Some good suggestions there. Before heating the tube, try raising and lowering the leg,
this may lessen the grease inside. Had this problem on my old Merc. Good luck. ....BB

Same thing happened to me, it was the tilt tube. Remove the grease nipple and dig out as much crud as you can, remove the shaft end caps and spray penetrating oil in the nipple hole and shaft ends. Grab one of downrigger weights and start tapping on the end of the steering shaft. Spray tap, spray tap ect.
It should free up the shaft in the tilt tube.

It will happen again, eventually the tube needs to be removed, cleaned and re greased.

Thanks for all the help guys-lots of Mex and Canuck ingenuity went into this-my Mex amigo was really impressed with the 6000lb cargo strap to pull the rod after he beat it in- 2 cans of wd40- 2 hrs and we are back in business-boat test tomorrow. Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Boat test this morning-nice and flat-pretty warm-motor ran great-the 4runner I brought down did a superb job over the beach-so Odark thirty tomorrow morning we`ll give her a real test-tackle fixing all afternoon to get ready!!! Second season starts!!

You are the man!!!
Give us photos and posts....the second best place on earth to fish

Guy

Had a similar problem with my 17 ft Whaler. Used a small sledge to loosen it. The problem was caused because I used WD 40 as a lubricant. Since then I've used motor oil instead. No problem if I did this once a year.

Back