Freshwater Licence for Kids

Red Monster

The RCMP told me my boys required a free licence to be fishing in Bunzin Lake. I told them that was for salt water, not fresh. Am I missing something? I don't think they know what they're talking about. Have the rules changed?

Nope. My boy is 2 and I tried to get him a freshwater licence and it said online he didn't need one. Salteater though is different and he got one of those.

I'd bet questions about childrens requirements for fishing licences is right up there in FAQ's.

I'm not sure the RCMP should be enforcing fishing regulation, especially when they don't know the laws?
He was nice about it, as was I when I told him that he was mistaken.
Mind you he wasn't really enforcing the law as much as he was just checking what people were doing I guess.
No big deal.

I'd bet questions about childrens requirements for fishing licences is right up there in FAQ's.

It just says, persons age 16 and up are required to have a non tidal license.

Regs changed this year to say that kids under 16 are not required to have a paper license, and they are entitled to their own quota.
Bottom left corner of page 6 provincial regs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regs changed this year to say that kids under 16 are not required to have a paper license, and they are entitled to their own quota.
Bottom left corner of page 6 provincial regs.

Hey Shifter, good to hear from you! Hope Kitty is been fishing well for you,

As for the regs and kids for freshwater, pretty sure the regs have not changed, it's always been that way.

Thx Bgm, havent been able to get out this year, every chance i get the wifes working, go figure lol
I could be wrong about the change, just thought i had seen it in one of those updated regulation notices.
Itchin for the rivers to start firing up, get my boy out throwing spinners/spoons for pinks, should be fun, he's 12 now so hopefully his attention span is a little longer lol
Used to get an hr out of him, haha, maybe ill get 2 this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure the RCMP should be enforcing fishing regulation, especially when they don't know the laws?
He was nice about it, as was I when I told him that he was mistaken.
Mind you he wasn't really enforcing the law as much as he was just checking what people were doing I guess.
No big deal.

Just to clear this up....

"If you are 16 and over - You must carry your license while sport fishing and, if asked, produce it for inspection by a Conservation Officer, Fishery Officer, RCMP constable, Park Ranger in a park, or an Officer under the Wildlife Act"

If you are under the age of 16 and a B.C. resident: You may sport fish without any licence or stamp (but must abide by the regulations).
You do not need to be accompanied by a license holder.
You are entitled to your own quota of fish [I assume that means what the daily limit would be on said body of water, if any]

If you are under the age of 16 and NOT a B.C. resident: You do not require any license or stamp to sport fish, but you must be accompanied by a person 16 years or older who holds the appropriate licenses and stamps.
Any fish you keep must be counted as part of the catch and possession of your accompanying license holder.
If you want to catch and keep your own quota of fish, you must buy a license and any necessary supplementary licenses and stamps

Back