Fraser Sockeye 2011

eastpoint

Hi All

Time to ask start thinking about the Fraser Sockeye this year. Good runs in Alaska and Port Alberni so there is hope for the Fraser.

What are the latest estimates and hopes for an recreational opening?:confused:

Post what you have heard, I am eager to hear what is going on.

Eastpoint

early estimate 3 - 5 million

By Jeff Nagel - BC Local News
Published: April 19, 2011 10:00 AM
Updated: April 19, 2011 11:03 AM
Last year's massive run of roughly 30 million sockeye salmon that filled freezers and kept barbecues sizzling won't likely be repeated this summer.
Instead, officials at the Pacific Salmon Commission are forecasting a much lower return of between three and five million sockeye to the Fraser River for 2011.
That means relatively little, if any, sockeye fishing for commercial fishermen and sports anglers, and possibly even First Nations, who get first priority subject only to conservation needs.
"Expectations are much lower," said Mike Lapointe, the commission's chief biologist.
He predicts fishing will be heavily restricted to protect threatened stocks, particularly early running sockeye bound for Stuart Lake and late running fish that end up in Cultus Lake.
"It will be nothing in the way of what we had last year," Lapointe said. "I think people are pretty realistic."
Last year included the huge run of sockeye that return to the Fraser's Adams River tributary northeast of Kamloops once every four years.
Some scientists think the already big run was further intensified because ash from an Alaskan volcano may have fallen at just the right time to fertilize ocean water and increase the food supply for juvenile sockeye from the Fraser.
Lapointe doubts the volcano theory, instead believing the wide variations possible in salmon returns can account for the difference.
Over the long term, about five adult Fraser sockeye tend to return for every one that spawned four years earlier.
This year's return was spawned by roughly 900,000 adults four years ago.
But that's a far cry from the 4.5 million spawners in 2006 that produced 2010's huge run.
Even so, the forecast models indicate this year's run could vary anywhere from one million to 15 million fish, with the median of around four million most probable.
The next three seasons are all expected to be similar until the Adams-bolstered run spawned in 2010 returns in 2014.
"The next three years in particular are coming off low runs," Lapointe said. "2007, 2008 and 2009 were very low returns with fairly low numbers of spawners."
Those dismal runs prompted the federal government to appoint the Cohen Commission now probing the decline of Fraser River sockeye.
While the official count of sockeye last year remains 34.5 million, Lapointe confirms that is still expected to be revised down to around 30 million.
It will still stand as the biggest in almost a century, since an estimated 39 million returned in 1913, before the Hell's Gate rock slide disrupted salmon for decades.
One silver lining for 2011 is that fishery managers expect a very large number of pink salmon, which come back every two years.
More than a billion pink fry came out of the Fraser and about 17.5 million of them are expected to return late this summer.
"That's by far the largest out-migration we've seen," Lapointe said. "So there's potential for a much larger pink salmon migration."
Pinks aren't as lucrative or desired as sockeye, but Lapointe expects they will be heavily fished anyway.
"I think it's the pinks that are going to provide the bulk of the harvest for folks this year."

Gee with a spread like that they should play Vegas. I mean, wow, only an 11 million fish variation. Now that's accuracy. They must use the same guy as the weather forecasters for numbers that accurate.

The Chilko fish are the biggest component this year....all depends on how well they survived in the ocean. Conditions have been favorable the last few years, so keep your fingers crossed.

The forecasts may be slim for this year, but there is hope-I caught (and released) a sockeye on the Fraser this morning!

Corrrection: What you mean is, Gar gar, is that you flossed a sockeye on the Fraser this morning.

I will be really surprised if we see a sockeye opening because it would take a large EFS to get us to the magic 10 million fish.

I'll be really surprised if you can keep your gear in the water long enough to hook a sockeye with the 30 million pinks which are likely coming our way.

The ocean conditions are just fine, its in river where the problems occur. Its not a coincidence that early Fraser Chinook (that enter before any sockeye are instream) are disappearing as are later running sockeye runs. Also not a coincidence that while the high value sockeye are running - that the later running larger Chinook are not suffering like their early running cousins. My science says that big mesh is used early and small mesh later.

It will be interesting to see how the sockeye run improves since they shut down what was happening up north. For years they thought the harvest of sockeye was from the local rivers way up north. Now, with radio tags they found that a bulk of the harvest were Fraser sockeye. This was stopped 4-5 year ago. Also the other huge measure that is happening along the west coast will have a large impact. Cannot post what that is as it has been kept quiet or should I say under the radar....

Cheers, Rob

Corrrection: What you mean is, Gar gar, is that you flossed a sockeye on the Fraser this morning.

I will be really surprised if we see a sockeye opening because it would take a large EFS to get us to the magic 10 million fish.

I'll be really surprised if you can keep your gear in the water long enough to hook a sockeye with the 30 million pinks which are likely coming our way.

Good luck flossing on the Fraser right now...just a little swollen, I doubt there is a bar to be had...troll

Good luck flossing on the Fraser right now...just a little swollen, I doubt there is a bar to be had...troll

No trolling about it. When the Fraser drops, and it will, there will be flossing. You can floss from a boat, from shore, or elsewhere. Anyways Getbent, I haven't seen you out on the chuck much...just a couple of times so far....where ya been hiding? Sandheads? T10?

Corrrection: I will be really surprised if we see a sockeye opening because it would take a large EFS to get us to the magic 10 million fish.

Yeah I wouldn't put any bets whatsoever on an opening. Even if there was there won't be big schools holding out there anyway. We need lots of big schools to hold to intercept them. Depending on timing though you often can hit sockeye before the main whack of Pinks infest the area..... then as you say the pinks would increase in numbers and lessen Soc chances

No trolling about it. When the Fraser drops, and it will, there will be flossing. You can floss from a boat, from shore, or elsewhere. Anyways Getbent, I haven't seen you out on the chuck much...just a couple of times so far....where ya been hiding? Sandheads? T10?

I meant the guy was a troll...too even say he caught a sock on the Fraser. I know how they floss but you gotta be anchored in a boat and no one is doing that it is moving big time, hopefully the river being high this late will push them through quick. We can hope that the cool water hangs around and they fly up.

Fished Thrasher a couple of times with some luck but between boat troubles and the crappy weather and the new job, it has been a dud so far, should be picking up for some springs with some size as we get ready for the pinks.

Getbent

Back