Forum members BOATS

Nice rig coyote spoon. We have a 185 malibu that we are currently putting a pod on. A 135 mercury optimax is going on the back. Hows the ride/performance with the pod?

The new ride. Looking for information about the company that built it, they were called CQAC (out of south island in the 90's)
1.jpg

Whoa like the lines that boat looks well built and I'm guessing pretty heavy. Should be a smooth ride large reverse chine on it also looks good

I think they were the company that built all the 17' "fat-boys" for the Oak Bay Marine Group to use at their northern operations? Might be worth stopping in to see Rob Waters at the OBMG Marina in Ladysmith or calling the Oak Bay Marina in Victoria, talk with Steve Sinclair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the lead Barrie I have heard they were building boats for them and that this design was to be their larger hull but all I am working off is 2nd hand information. Boat is 23' and weighs around 4200lbs ready to fish. Boat ran nice on sea trial, paint is fugly but by next year it will hopefully look different. Looking forward to using it on the outside.

I think they were the company that built all the 17' "fat-boys" for the Oak Bay Marine Group to use at their northern operations? Might be worth stopping in to see Rob Waters at the OBMG Marina in Ladysmith or calling the Oak Bay Marina in Victoria, talk with Steve Sinclair.

Very cool boat redfisher, looks very seaworthy.The lines remind me of a Boston whaler a bit.

Nice rig coyote spoon. We have a 185 malibu that we are currently putting a pod on. A 135 mercury optimax is going on the back. Hows the ride/performance with the pod?

I have been really pleased with the POD conversion. The boat rides really nice; it drops of waves a little softer with the pod. Opened up a lot of extra space for fishing too.

The new ride. Looking for information about the company that built it, they were called CQAC (out of south island in the 90's)
View attachment 17096

Nice boat Red. I was down at the Coombs shop the other day and Daryl was showing boat pics and this was the boat. Is it 27' long. The hull sure does look like the older whaler style.

Hi Mike I see your boat is gone now so are you back on the water? This new rig of mine is a welded aluminum. Looks like fiberglass with it's lines but it's not.

Nice boat Red. I was down at the Coombs shop the other day and Daryl was showing boat pics and this was the boat. Is it 27' long. The hull sure does look like the older whaler style.

Redfisher,
Sadly all The guys I could call for a definite answer at OBMG have passed away. Robbie in Ladysmith has been with them for a lifetime, and Steve Sinclair is relatively new (10 years) but he was manager of northern operations. While the "fat boys" were unusual, the were built tough. About 15 (or so) years ago, OBMG had a surplus sale and those boats were the first to sell. They were either blue. (Like yours) or yellow. I think Rob Waters is where to start, great guy and ran PEDDAR Bay for years. He's highly respected in the OBMG and stepped up to hold things steady after Bob passed away. I haven't see Rob since last summer but I don't think he had any plans to retire.

The old man just put a down payment on a 2007 grady 33 express cabin powered by dual yammie 250's out of Tarpon Spring Florida , just needs to pass final survey and should be on her way across the continent. Very excited and will post some shots once we have her landed on Canadian soul.

This is our new to us boat. Starting to slowly add some toys. still looking for some scotty swivel bases but cant wait to take it out.

IMG_2092.JPG

Nice boat! looks really functional and your going to love fishing out of it! can't beat a cabin for staying out of the elements when it gets ugly out there...

I hope so. This was a big upgrade from the 12' aluminum car topper lol. Took it out on Harrison lake for the test drive and it handled nicely. Will be doing all the fluid changes and hopefully out this weekend for the first trip.

A bit of an upgrade from my 16.5 tin.
1976 Glasply 19' with a 1996 4.3/Alpha combo in the back. Just about ready to fish.
IMG_2173.jpg

Back