Foriegn guides working B.C. waters

well I don't agree with forcing out of province fishermen to use a guide. I've done guided trips before and to be honest I hate sitting there waiting for a guide to pass me a rod.

I get much more satisfaction from picking the spot, lure, depth etc. and catching a fish. I think most accomplished fishermen feel the same.

sorry... not to offend our fellow Canucks and the love of fishing.
I'm just as avid as all of you to catch the big one - LadyLuck has shined on me with 6 tyees in 10 years - and I think everyone has the right to experience it... but it can't be at the expense of local jobs and the local economy. New requirements by Transport Canada are making it harder and harder for guides and if no one is going to regulate the out of country sporties then what is going to happen???

also... you don't have to let your guide hook your fish - all you have to do is request him to let you do it yourself. I know of many that will allow this but they just don't like being treated as if it is their fault if you don't hook them.

..interesting turn to the thread..

IF it was not clear, I would give serious thought to t-boning an illegal American guide in BC, because of the injury to my rep as an American..

However, requiring us to hire a guide will decimate your industry. We do not go it alone to save money, it would be far cheaper to hire a guide for the 10-15 days in BC I get every year. truth be told, I am pretty competetive about doing it well - so that is part of the thrill for me, anyway.....

BTW, there were quite a few BC lodges at the sportsman show, but the QC lodges seemed mostly absent....Now there is a place I will hire a Guide:)

quote:Originally posted by tomictime

..interesting turn to the thread..

IF it was not clear, I would give serious thought to t-boning an illegal American guide in BC, because of the injury to my rep as an American..

However, requiring us to hire a guide will decimate your industry. We do not go it alone to save money, it would be far cheaper to hire a guide for the 10-15 days in BC I get every year. truth be told, I am pretty competetive about doing it well - so that is part of the thrill for me, anyway.....

BTW, there were quite a few BC lodges at the sportsman show, but the QC lodges seemed mostly absent....Now there is a place I will hire a Guide:)

I am with Tomic on this one....guide would be whole lost cheaper than dragging my boat and up for the two 5-day trips I fish VI each year.

If forced use a guide I suspect that most of us law abiding yanks would simply fish Alaska or go to Mexico in lieu of annaul VI trips. Frankly speaking between spring halibut, crabbing year-round, Jun-Oct Tuna, July-Sep Salmon fishing in Oregon, it's getting harder each year, to justify Canada fishing trips. Just the same, something about BC draws me each summer...I guess my living in North Van for 5 years in my youth lures me back each year. I come for the get-away, change in scenery, no cell phone ringing, and warm hosipitality we find each year.

As to these illegal guides - nail them to the jail house is my vote. Bastards give the rest of us a bad name.

Originally posted by Dogbreath

Well I remember this same subject coming up here years ago.

At the time I did some phoning and found out how to proceed.

The thing to do is get as much info as possible on the person working unlawfully.

Name, address, license plate #, description of boat, boat registration # and dates when he was working.

Print it all up neat and tidy with as many details as possible and send to

Investigations Division
203 - 333 Dunsmuir Street
Vancouver BC
V6B 5R4

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

Tel.: (604) 666-3203
Fax: (604) 666-4676

If you put it in a Registered Letter</u> someone is sure to notice.

You can do this anonymously as well no worries.

Wonder how to get info on someone like that?

Ask for a business card, a phone number, once you have a name and a town you can track them down on the net.

You might think this is dirty trick well it's no such thing.

People breaking our laws have to realise we're serious-break the same law in the USA and see where you end up![xx(]

I agree to that most visitors we have here from the USA are a great bunch and I'm sure they don't like lawbreakers anymore than you or I do.

This is what we can do about it, good info Dogbreath!

quote:Originally posted by scottyboy

showing now that the site is down [V]
no, the sight is still there. it's just a little slow to load.

click on their video on the site... i could not beleive what i saw there, cant even fight there own fish... lazy b*&%%rds...:(:([V]

Thought I would bring this topic up again as I just got off the phone with a fellow fishing guide up in Nootka who knows for sure of two foreign guides out of Tahsis and has reported them to the investigations division as per the info given by Dog breath. So should be interesting to see what happens. I have been told of a lot more enforcement for everything this year. Would be cool to see a road check coming out of Tahsis Gold river.

just sit at west view marina and sip on a few cold ones and watch 4 a few days it will shock you[V]

i remeber this one time i was coming home from a weekend camping trip, as i was going over the cous creek bridge, i looked down, as we all do, and i caught a flash of silver, when we pulled over and took another look it was in pure disgusted, about 20 fresh fish, heads off, layin in the river, my conclusion was somebody took their limit and a bit more came around the cornor and , Wham theres C.O., so they dumped their load into the river, sickens me everytime i think about it
ensure the future

One other option is to send the information to the US IRS at IRS.GOV as an information item. They always like to work people that are not paying taxes and I would assume that these guides are not paying US taxes. The thing about different people coming every week to fish with the same boat owner is something that I did for years but I wasn't guiding just brought different friend up every week. The only pay was spliting the gas and expenses. I know a number of people that do this.

This post is an eye opener to me as to some of the attitude we have gotten fishing in Canada. There have been some good comment's and some, well, not worth commenting on. I've been involved in the past in joint Canada, US fisheries group and am a member of another Candadian fisheries enhancement group that does stream enhancement in Nootka. I live in the US, but my family is from Alberta. I started fishing Nootka three years ago, with my uncle who's been fishing it for 10 years. We buy ALL provisions and fuel for our trips in Canada, as does our relatives. Our first trip to Nootka was a forgettable one. We stayed at a resort in the area and were treated as poorly as I've ever been treated by the host's and the locals. In trying to strike up conversation with the local's one asked if we'd had any luck and when I replied we had caught nothing he walked away laughing saying "Awww too bad for you..." The whole trip was like that, I kept hearing the phrase "F-ing Americans" many times. I got to the point where we were having a meal with my family at the lodge and I said aloud if anyone made one more damn snide commment to me they were going in the water, period and I meant it -that ended it. We gave it another chance last year and had a much better time, though we switched lodges. The fact is that Canadian limits are more liberal and you can no longer keep unmarked Chinook in Puget Sound. We also have very small quota's for Chinook, unlike north of the border because our tribe's are guarenteed a 50% minimum catch. If you want to be upset at American fishermen, be upset at the Makahs who caught over 20,000 Springs in the Strait of Juan DeFuca bound for river's like the Fraser, Nitinat, Sooke and other Canadian bound fish, not the US sports fishermen who take less than 1/3 what Washington tribe's catch. On the subject of illegal guiding if I saw a clear cut definition of what the means posted then I would comment, but so far I haven't. I don't condone anyone working anywhere for pay without the proper licenses, but it seems there are more issues than that. I do know people who live in the US and guide in Canada legally, one is a friend and a former US Fish and Wildlife enforcement officer.

I would add also, that many of the locals in Nootka we have met over subsequent years are great folks and we always enjoy ourselves at Critter Cove. My point was that we all just need to keep cool heads and realize there are just a few bad apples.

D

Interesting Development! Will throw a wrench in their works for fishing our side of the line.

This is from the Fisheries website:

"Important Note Regarding Fishing for Halibut:

No person who is not a Canadian resident may fish for or retain halibut under an electronic licence in management area 121, as described in Schedule II of the Pacific Fishery Management Area Regulations. If you are a non-resident and wish to fish for halibut in management area 121 you must purchase a paper license from a vendor in Canada. Refunds will not be issued, so please ensure your licence selection is correct before you complete your transaction."

I'm posting this under saltwater fishing as well.

Back