Foriegn guides working B.C. waters

..bummer, one bad apple..or even a few.
I try to spend as much of my vacation on the island as I can
Love it there and the 99% great hospitality we enjoy as visitors.
I know some of the people who own property in T and even Zeballos
was thinking of doing somehting like that also
I play by the rules
4 Springs a year might alter my plan and the $ I spend up there, maybe I would just hunt the big fish, over 50's...
not sure what others would do.
again, love your island :)
JD

Being a yank, I know a lot of friends that fish nootka area and have some have bought into some lodges. They have it where you bring your own boat.

I personally haven't heard of anyone from here (Seattle area) guiding up there but rotate a lot of friends in and out on their personal boats. They bring them up and leave them all summer either there or at Campbell River. They do spend a fair amount of money up there.

Not to say that is does not happen, but I know a lot of the larger fishing community here and don't know of anyone guiding up there, but just enjoying the fishing. I have not been to Nootka or Tahsis but have flown into many lodges from Vancouver Island to just south of Prince Rupert. I had a great time and caught a lot of fish. Yo have some great lodges and people up there and have never had a bad trip. Thanks

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy

Perhaps we also need special catch limits for foreign fishers. This would discourage the multiple trips home by relatives to skirt possession limits. This would also stop the use of commercial smokehouses to get around possession quotas. Some non-resident anglers take hundreds of pounds of fish home with their multiple fish transport shenanigans.

Foreign fishers should be restricted to a two day possession limit within a one month period. An annual quota of eight salmon (4 springs maximum) would seem adequate for a non-resident angler. All salmon and bottom fish caught would be required to be recorded on the license to prevent over retention. We already have special licenses and annual quotas to protect our trophy rainbow fisheries on Kootenay and Shuswap lakes. Perhaps the non-residents should have more restrictions such as those. Hopefully, that may in some small way help prevent our fishery declining to the sad state of their home waters.

Just a thought.

YES! That's a great idea!!! What it comes down to is that the perpetrators of this are not measured! Hard to say how big the problem really is but I know it's a significant issue---I've seen it and witnessed it.

It's not about people spending $$$ on a vacation. It's about people coming over for the "meat".

Only real expenses are some food, gas for the car/truck, and ferry fare. So they bought a license! BIG DEAL.

Ultimately, when the day of reckoning comes and DFO lays the smack down on really protecting the resource----watch how many people get B U S T E D.

Heck, it's not just Americans..it's Albertans too...

Every summer we get these reports of people getting checked at the BC-Alberta border with several times their possession limit of Pacific caught Salmon! That tells it all!

I just wanna see some enforcement, and a legitimate presence of conservation officers etc...

Hi all,i just want to put i my 2bits,pretty much everyone i know abides bye the 4 fish rule, i don't think the yanks are depleteing the queens stock lol.how about the local boys that fish 2-3 days a week catch half a dozen fish a week,20 shakers where half die.The guides contribute to the tax fund create jobs.some one wrote we only buy a lisence,so do you.Ours is over a hundred and most yanks fish a couple of weeks a year.how many do you guys keep in a year.I would guess a lot more than 8 per year.Lets hear some #s just curious.Also do the canadian boys have a yearly quota.[:p]

How do people get checked at the border with Alberta? Not saying it doesn't happen, but I just can't think of how/why someone would get checked going into another province.

quote:we only buy a lisence,so do you.
No offense but we live here and pay taxes. As an American you don't have any right to tell us how to manage our fishery.

I am in favor of restricting the foreign possession limit. If you want to come enjoy our sport fishing fine, but don't come and treat our fishery like your own mini commercial operation, go to Alaska for that.

If you don't like the rules, nobody's forcing you to play.

..spot on, we certainly do not have much if any rights in Canada. We are however, all of us, including the AK residents and tourists, fishing on mixed stocks, with probable exception of terminal areas. I think the meat fisheries and those who are driven by that mentality and take level are not doing the resource any good - coastwide..in any country.

As to taxes, well we all pay those. Some of my state taxes go to fund fish Canadians will kill. Could also be someone from oregon will kill "my" fish...Just how it is.

I will say it is a bit more complicated than taxes. here's a partial list of $ spent..and jobs created or sustained by my obsession with BC:

Three Islanders, One 200 HP outboard purchased and installed by island OB in C-river, 6 trailer tires over 4 years from the tire place in Port McNiel, 5 nites of lodging at Hidden Cove Lodge, T-Cove, 70+ nights of lodging at Zeballos Inlet Lodge, 12 nites at the Glen Lyon, 20+ nights at Weigh West...a few more camping in Sooke, Yamaha T-8 rebuild at parker Marine C-River, bunch of stuff from method marine in Tofino, 2 Hardy Longstones from Berry's in Richmond.....countless Loonies in Tyee marine, river sportsman, Hardy, berry's, Nikka, Redden Net, ...well you get the idea...

and this is just the pile my wife KNOWS about...

ha. Can I emigrate but keep my US Job ???

best to you all

JD

Foreign guides working B.C. waters is a Canadian problem, we created it, we are responsible. It is because of our lack of enforcement that is has become a problem. The same goes for the meat takers, we created that one to, from lack of enforcement once again.
I started this topic because I was concerned about the negative effect on the industry . I want the government to realize that we who work in it contribute a lot to the economy. The work done by foreign guides goes unaccounted and I feel this hurts us all rely on this industry. More recognition from the government would mean more attention and action from government to it . We need it if we are to protect it. One example is the Nitnat fish hatchery. That facility is capable of producing a major amount of fish but it operates at I would guess 20% of its capacity because of government cut backs and that goes for other hatcheries as well. The foreign guides are only a small problem that takes away from the industry. Just think for a moment how many more American fisherman we could invite to B.C. to fish our waters . We could advertise all over the States inviting them up to the Sport Fishing mekka of B.C. The economy would benefit big time! plenty of fish to catch because the government finally realized how much money there is to be made from sport fishing and governments would start investing money into rehabilitation of our streams and making use of government funded hatcheries! Producing mass amount of fish for the sport fisherman not just Dog salmon for pet food.
Once again the foreign guide thing is a small problem a Canadian one. Furthermore we can’t just blame cross border fisherman for being meat takers there is just as many Canadians doing the same thing if not more.
Enforcement is the key and money to pay for the enforcement is going to come from government,
A government that recognizes our industries contribution to the economy.

I would like to thank all the American fishermen that respect our laws and enjoy our fishery. It is in part because of you that we have this industry to work in. Dont forget to fly a Canadian flag over your flag to show your respect when in our waters.

In reply to our American cousins inquiry. Yes we do have annual catch limits as Canadians in our home waters. I live in Vancouver, in the Georgia Straight where I fish most of the year I may retain 15 Chinook annualy. I might add that I have never retained even half that amount from the Straight in a year.

Also, before you complain too loudly about our licencing fees you should compare the fees in Alaska. The link below lists the fishing licence fees in Alaska for non residents.

http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license/prices.html

It would cost a British Columbian $145 American for an Alaskan annual fishing licence. To retain Chinook in Alaska requires an additional $100 annual stamp. Our annual Salmon stamp is $6.42 and that is in Canadian dollars. You get a discount on ours with your exchange rate. Canadians would pay closer to $275 with exchange to purchase an Alaskan licence for a year.

On trophy waters like the Kenai in Alaska, I believe you are only permitted to keep one Chinook per year. It seems your own countrymen realize that limits must be placed on retention if trophy fishing is to be preserved in Alaska. They also have no problem charging non residents a hefty premium to enjoy and retain their trophy fish.

Abolishing field canning was the only intelligent thing the feds have done in the last twenty years. Just for your information, my 2006-7 fishing licence doesn't have one Chinook on it. I can't tell you exactly how many Chinook and Coho I caught my last trip to Barkley Sound, I caught plenty though. Limit your catch, not catch your limit.

Maybe the next step would be to require canneries and smoke house's to keep detailed records of the fish processed. It seems by only allowing a certain number of fish processed per liscence you'd close a huge loop hole being exploited.

St. Jeans asks for your liscence number on their form but I've never had an issue when I left it blank.

Seems like a logical step to me.

I agree, BC annual non-resident lisc and chinook (oops Spring) retention stamp is a deal. I have never plugged the card and do not intend to. I would say your enforcement seems to parallel ours. I have been stopped and checked only 3 X in all the years up there: one at Sooke, One at hardy and One at Espy. Maybe a bit more here, but not much...

All of our Govt's would be better off IF they recognized the real value in fish and fishing, esp the sport contribution.

appreciate your forum :)

JD

The government fails to realize that for every salmon caught by sports fisherman, the contibution to the economy is many times that received from the commercial industry.
10 of us trailered 3 boats from Van to Nootka last august. We kept track of all expenses because we were splitting the bills evenly. Total cost, $7,642.00 and probably 6000 of that was spent on the Island because we left here with only food for 5 days and whatever gas we had in tow vehicles. We gassed up all vehicles and boats in Campbell river. If you add what we spent on tackle both in Van and on the island we probably spent 10 grand.
Sum total for trip, 22 salmon and about a dozen yelloweye and cod.
Last year was our first trip to Nootka and as far as fishing was concerned, it was mostly a learning experience as you can tell by the number of fish caught but we plan on returning again this year .
The point is, our group was one of how many that did the same thing.What is the total contibution to Van Island`s economy from visiting fisherman? If the salmon dissappear how much affect would this have if groups like ours weren`t coming there?
How many salmon does that average commercial fishing boat catch in a year and what is the return to the local economy per fish from them?
Then consider the local guides and the fact they put most of their earnings back into the local economy.
Is there no one in government with any math skills??? You would think it would be common sense that would push them to spend more on rehabilitation, policing, and a fairer allotment of the resourse to the sport fishing industry.
How many of our salmon are caught by commercial interests and shipped abroad for very little return while our resourse is fast becoming depleted?
On the prairies they pay farmers not to grow things. Maybe it`s time they bought back some commercial licences or paid them not to fish !!

Not to harp on this but those 22 salmon generated almost 500 each. What would they have generated in revenue if caught commercially or by natives?

I realize most out of province fishers are probably law abiding and play within the rules. However, most people who fish the West Coast have seen plenty of examples of over retention. Albertans, Americans and BCers are all guilty in this respect. Unfortunately, as guests within our country you foster more resentment when it is observed by the local fishermen. Illegal guiding activities foster double the resentment and reflect badly upon all Americans. This is "for profit" piracy of our fish resources, pure and simple.

I do not believe Mornin Chubby is exaggerating the issue of foreign guides working within Canada. It has been going on for years at Swiftsure bank and other West Coast locations. You should accept his and the other posters reports of your countrymens illegal guiding activities. I saw a post on an American fishing forum advertising American guide services in Tahsis only a few weeks ago. I was choked when I saw this illegal self promotion as I have operated as a guide myself. When the thread about this illegal activity began on this forum I attempted to find the post on the American site again. I was going to copy it here as evidence of this ongoing illegal activity. I could not find it on their board when I went back and searched for it. Perhaps word got out about this topic and the guide removed his post fearing repercussions.

Our sport fishing in British Columbia is a precious resource. We are rightly justified in attempting to prevent abuse of that resource. I have seen a steady decline locally since when I was a kid growing up in the Gulf Islands. The fishing was fantastic in the lower straight when I was a kid. I would like my kids to be able to experience that type of fishing again locally someday.

no kidding, wouldn't it be nice to catch fish around the gulf islands again? You could go out early pull up at Sidney spit for a shore lunch or stop at any one of the many pubs.

I love Sooke fishing, but there isn't really anything else to do out there - its pretty boring for anybody that isn't a fish freak.

As far as Americans fishing in our waters... my husband was guiding
in Campbell River for 3 seasons and we steadily saw a decline of US citizens booking guided trips. They come up here - use a guide the 1st year or two to get to know the areas and then BOOM - no regs. that require out of country or out of province individuals to use a guide they start doing it themselves and WOW DO THEY - now the guiding industry is going down the sewer!!!!!! Wake-up officials - whoever you are - we have a right to be able to make a reasonable living.

Back