Foam core transom questions

23Hourston

Going to go look at a boat for sale today with a foam core transom. Being foam core would it still be a good candidate to pod. Any other tips on the foam core I’m not familiar with them

Last edited:
Going to go look at a boat for sale today with a foam core transom. Being foam core would it still be a good candidate to pod. Any other tips on the foam core I’m not familiar with them
Foam core has the advantage of no rot potential. The transom will be well reinforced where the main engine mounts. A pod is attached elsewhere and it will put substantial stress on the transom and connections. I'd consult the builder beforehand.

Foam core is has only one downside. The downside can result from either one of the 2. Water intrusion into the foam, or improper adhesion from the fibreglass to the foam. It can delaminate. However it has unbelievable strength when its done properly. Its the push pull idea. Kinda like those carbon fibre panels they use in aircraft etc. Thin honeycomb aluminum material inside which has zero strength, but put a layer one each side adhered to the honeycomb and you have the stiffest lightest material you can get. Foam core is the same.

usually the layup with foam core boats is heavy. With 1/4 to 3/8 thick on either side of the foam. Also most the boats I have seen that are foam core are foam core throughout with self bailing decks. Which meets the transom. The 2 boats I have done with foam corded not need any reinforcement. A good fibreglass guy would be the judge.

Thanks for the info. I had first shot at the boat 20 Hourston but floor was just painted ply wood, had a few soft spots. Canvas top needed replacement trailer was garbage strange cracks in gel coat on transom near leg. Blown motor, I don’t know what I was expecting for under four grand but I thought I’d go look at it anyway sometimes you get lucky. Not today. The next guy that looked at it bought it. I think I’m gonna keep my eye out for a little 16/18 aluminum

Attachments

• 86FF85CE-4909-4F7C-9B93-FE90D84886DE.png
    86FF85CE-4909-4F7C-9B93-FE90D84886DE.png
    535.7 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for the info. I had first shot at the boat 20 Hourston but floor was just painted ply wood, had a few soft spots. Canvas top needed replacement trailer was garbage strange cracks in gel coat on transom near leg. Blown motor, I don’t know what I was expecting for under four grand but I thought I’d go look at it anyway sometimes you get lucky. Not today. The next guy that looked at it bought it. I think I’m gonna keep my eye out for a little 16/18 aluminum

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220202-182600_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220202-182600_Facebook.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 47
Back