Flyfishing in Barkley

F

Fjordshark

Heading up to Bamfield for a few days around august 10th. Is it worth throwing a couple of flyrods in the boat to do some bucktailing and flyfishing for salmon in the area?

quote:Originally posted by Fjordshark

Heading up to Bamfield for a few days around august 10th. Is it worth throwing a couple of flyrods in the boat to do some bucktailing and flyfishing for salmon in the area?

That would probably work 22 miles offshore. Think you'd be wasting your time in the sound.

We used to do it years ago at Swale Rock for Coho in September. Biggest one I ever saw was 22 pounds. But that was 30 years ago when I was a kid growing up in that area. :(

One of the times I was in the sound when Coho retention was closed (around 8 years ago?) you could have easily bucktailed or flyfished. We wished we had brought flyfishing gear. The sound had huge schools of Coho visible jumping all over the place.

I just came back from 3 days in Barclay...last comments are quite correct, you need to be off shore right now to find Coho, but when you are on them, bucktails will work for sure...don't forget to try yellow !

We used to use grey mostly "Grey Ghost" we called it. However, I used to tie my own bucktails all in white and colour them with felt pens to the colour of the day as needed. When polar bear hair became scarce, we used mountain goat hair which worked well.

Grey, green, yellow and red were all popular.

Back