Fly Fishing Boat

Bambam

Ok… so after much thought and long nights thinking about how to rig my inflatable i said screw it and now I am out looking for ideas on what to buy for a fly fishing/trolling boat.

a) I have a budget at max $3,500
b) Must be able to be a car topper or fit in the back of my GMC Pickup
c) should be sturdy enough to fly fish out of standing
d) be able to troll with it as I would like to use it on some of the surrounding lakes ex. Osoyoos Lake Sockeye

I was looking at the 10ft Lowe Jon Boat… Any suggestions ?

I have a lowe jon 1032 and its ok for one person, but any more and its a struggle. I would look for something a bit wider. I had a marlon jon boat at one point and it was a 1056 I think. I sold it because the aluminum on it was way too thin, I would stay away from the marlons, there basically super cheap chinese boats with a logo on them. Like others have said check out the sprately's, wide, durable, and very fishy.

Kunni

I like the look of the spratelys! Any local dealers in the okanaganan and would I be able to load the boat by myself into the back of my truck?

If you cant load it yourself, (because they are heavier due to the thicker aluminum and welds as apposed to rivets), you can always get a set of wheels for about $150. They are removable, and make movement over land easy.

Kunni

Quick Question... Is there any used ones out there at all! Love to find one for cheap!!

All very good boats.
Not a fan of Jon boats unless you're in the bayous.
Keep an eye over at flybc.CA for used (you will have to join to view the classifieds, no big deal).
Good hunting.

There are lots of v hull car toppers that are wide enough to stand up in and fly fish. Princecraft, Lund, to name a few and not too heavy. Trout Water Supplies in Kelowna carries Spratleys

My yamaha G3 1032 came with lifetime warranty on welds n rivets,with your budget you could by a G3-1032 and a new four stroke outboard for it., if you fit a piece of plywood in the front you can easily stand and fly fish, Also it fits in the box with the box cover closed, pretty sure you would need a rack for the Marlon or Spratley as they are to wide to fit in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Been fishing out of a Lowe 1032 for 3 years. I am 6'3 200lbs and have had no problem standing and casting, even with my wife in the boat it is not a problem. I put a 2x12 across the gunnels to get me up off the floor a little bit more for comfort I will also move it to the middle and face backwards when solo and for trolling. It weighs about 80 lbs and I have had it both on top of a car and currently it goes in the box of my pickup, I can handle moving it myself also it's light enough to pack a ways down to a lake if the access isn't to close.

I run a 2.5 horse on bigger lakes when I gota do a bit of running or it's windy it isn't fast by any means but I can fish all day on a ltr of gas. On smaller lakes or for trolling flies I run a 32lb minnkota. Boat itself cost me 595 used it has been an absolute fish slayer.

I have a 12' Spratley. It's an amazing fly fishing boat that was built to last forever. The problem is that it's a 2 man boat. It weighs 200 pounds dry so its a struggle to load onto my trailer I had built for it. When it's in the water I am so happy I spent the money on it. Really safe and sturdy. My bro and I are both well over 200 bills and we can both stand on one side with no worries. If I were to look for a single man boat I would try and find a Harbercraft, my buddy has one and its a beauty for one guy.
The first 2 pics are of my Spratley and last is the Harbercraft.
P5070118.jpgP5090159.jpgP5090160.jpg

Back