Flushing a Mercury

myself, i'd buy a merc over a yamaha or most others any day of the week. never could understand the yamaha craze with all the probs they've had in the past.

I stayed away from Yamaha this time around do to exterior corrosion issues and lousy warranty coverage. They don't back their product so why should I rely on it.

I have 2 Mercs....a 30hp and a 4hp.....use earmuffs on both of them.......never had a problem flushing. They are both newer engines.

No problem warming up.....

No problems at all......

(The 4hp I had to make a little "custom" earmuff out of an old one.....so it would clear prop...works great).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 Mercs....a 30hp and a 4hp.....use earmuffs on both of them.......never had a problem flushing. They are both newer engines.
No problem warming up.....
No problems at all......
(The 4hp I had to make a little "custom" earmuff out of an old one.....so it would clear prop...works great).

I too have Merc's and swear by them!!!!
Never a problem washing them out with my cups (get decent ones) same rig for both big and small motor.
Not sure about why you had to clear the prop
I WAS TOLD NEVER TO PUT MY MOTORS IN GEAR OUT OF THE WATER! and also was told not to run out the gas during the season.
for what it's worth, it works for me.

By " clear the prop" I meant:-

(1) I don't have to do that on the 30....muffs just go straight on.

(2) The 4 horse has the intake underneath the cav plate.......so the prop was in the way to put anything on there......so I made these muffs so that the hardware slides in between the blades and then they go on just nice. This engine has a screw up top that you take out and then connect an adaptor and then a hose so it flushes. But I don't like that because it only flushes the top end and it's a pain in the
butt to do. So I just made these muffs that go on the bottom end and end of problem.

I had a Mariner before that had all-Merc guts in it. That thing just would not die. One day I was looking at it and I noticed it had corroded around the bottom of the block...corroded so bad you could see the piston inside.......I was looking at it after I'd just been fishing for 6 hours and using the motor as the kicker.....(it was a 2 -stroke).

I wanted to trade up anyway....so I did. On that engine I never changed the impeller since I bought it.....the impeller finally went after 12 years.

My new Mercs are sure easy on gas.........I use about 7 dollars worth if I'm fishing for 6 hours straight without turning the engine off.........sometimes I use the 4 horse for a kicker but a lot of times I use the 30 for trolling.

I will say that I would rather have had a 2cylinder kicker instead of the single cylinder 4 horse.....it vibrates and is pretty noisy.....

but weight was an issue and I wanted to go "light"....otherwise I would probably have gone with an 8 horse 2-cylinder.

The 4 is basically just an emergency engine for me........it'll push my boat pretty good by itself.

I used to have a Honda 4 -stroke a few years back.......but no kicker....(at the time we mainly fished with jigs)......got damn tired of the constant engine failures and having to row back.

So now I will never go out there without an extra engine of some kind.

thanks for the clarification re you small Merc
Never have one less than 9.9
you are sure right about the need for a second motor..see lots of guys out there with one only..even towed a few home

Back