Flushing a Mercury

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Being a Mercury owner now and finding out it doesn't have a quick flush like my Yamaha had I had to put muffs on it. But I can't seem to get them tight enough. What's the secret?

Sorry to hear about the merc :(

Buddy had the same problem when he got his he had to run it for a bit before it would start pissing water. Been a great motor for him though only downside I know of is the flushing.

I have squeezed the muffs as tight as I can. Right now either someone has to hold them on or put a clamp on them. What am I missing?

Your Yamaha? ;)

At the risk of asking the obvious...are you running the engine while you have the muffs on? I know you could flush your old Yamaha without running the engine but I don't expect you can do the same thing with your Merc.

How about popping the the rubber cups out and putting the metal frame in a vise to squeeze it
to accomodate the narrower leg ?

Like craven says. Bend it tighter. I step on mine once or twice a year to tighten the grip. That said, some motors like the rectangular cups more than the round.

I have rubber cup ear muffs on mine, they work fine and don't slip at all,Another way is to use a recycling bin, fill er up n leave the hose going:cool:

I too had that problem but a quick call to my Mercury dealer solved the problem. Just up your revs on the motor and that should solve the problem, it did for me.

Being a Mercury owner now and finding out it doesn't have a quick flush like my Yamaha had I had to put muffs on it. But I can't seem to get them tight enough. What's the secret?

It's just strange I have a high pressure hose and pinched the muffs as tight as I could by hand... Guess on a Mercury they need to be pinched even tighter. Off to the vise they go I guess or over to see the guys at CV Marine for help. Thought I was missing something simple.... I have never owned or wanted to own a mercury till this one.

There is a secondary pick up above the prop. Put a couple wraps of electrical tab around the upper pick up and cavitation plate if you want to run it on a regular flush attachment otherwise it will want to suck air through the upper pick up.

All you Yamaha guys can bite Me.. my new Merc is Awesome!. as is FA's im sure... , FA maybe you shoulda called this thread flame my new outboard :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen seen guys use a horse watering trough to flush there mercs; then there is no taping the high speed pick-up up or the upper intake; just back your boat into it's usual parking spot; lower your motor; start it up; put the hose in and and away you go; most guys leave it full before starting of course but then you don't need to worry about your muffs slipping off or any of that crap; you can walk away if you want, if you get the right size trough you can turn your motor slightly 5 min in to the flush and re-capture the water as well if you want to conserve water or save a little money. The troughs aren't cheap, but are cheaper than burning up your impeller or motor because the tape fell off or your muffs slipped.

I flush my motors daily when used which can be up to 200 days a year. Must be quick and easy. Or do Mercury guys just buy new motors every year :)

Wish this unit had a silent flush so will my neighbors :)

Gary can you paint this thing Silver :) or do I have to paint the Yamaha Black :)

I used to do my merc kicker in a plastic garbage can. Hardest part was coordinating tilting the kicker back up and pulling out the still partially full garbage can.

I think you need a Verado or Optimax now :), After reading what IMRINC had to say I think im ditching the muffs and going to the g-can approach,, we have these great new green bins in Nanaimo for organic kitchen waste, kicker fits perfect down inside, don't need it in gear to flush your engine takes 5 mins and done.

Back