Flushing a Mercury

Thats why you leave the garden hose going so you Flush the away any salt water within mins.. Im sure your neighbours can handle the sound of the 9.9 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I love where I live 2 blocks from the lake. Always stop on the way home after being in the salt start both motors while they run I dip all my gear in the fresh water. Makes clean up quick at home I just hose out the inside and the windows. It's also great for the trailer.
Only time it sucks is if I fish the morning on a weekend and the lake launch is jammed packed with ski boats and they hate me taking 10min while I flush the motors, but it's a small town and I know most the guys.

I love lakes..... Flush the motors, run the bilge and wash down pump free of salt. Use the washing down to rinse all the gear.

Don't have one on my home though :)

Time to move or take up lake fishing. Poor design on Mercs part. Get the flushing attachment from Merc, it really does work better than standard muffs.

Depends on the year and model of the Merc. Some older 2 strokes take a little while. 2 heads 2 thermostats have to open, housing to fill up, block and all. Perhaps you have a poppet valve stuck open, a corroded water tube, or your impeler isn't whipping as it should...change the impeller recently??? etc. the idea behind the design is to put heat into the block to generate heat for the carbs on a cold start and clean up the burn. Merc 2 strokes are the best in the business before the new 'rudes.

Yamaha 2 strokes are JUNK and I have seen more grenaded yamahas then merca from a longevity standpoint .

Mercs don't need to be flushed due to superior engineering and components. Never flushed mine and get 5 or 6 yrs out of them

I think you need a Verado or Optimax now :), After reading what IMRINC had to say I think im ditching the muffs and going to the g-can approach,, we have these great new green bins in Nanaimo for organic kitchen waste, kicker fits perfect down inside, don't need it in gear to flush your engine takes 5 mins and done.

Jeffy

I have a cut down garbage can I used to use to flush my merc if you want it. Has a drain hole in it already you just need a plug. It's yours if you want it.

Mercs don't need to be flushed due to superior engineering and components. Never flushed mine and get 5 or 6 yrs out of them

My 15 HP was a pain to flush, but my 50 was easy, just hook up a hose. Why can't Mercury just make the process simple for all models?

It's a pain to have to find a garbage can or Lake to flush.

I use my Merc 15 ProKicker 202 days per year and never flush....

Now if you only had clients on those days....... LOL :)

My Mercury was easy to start yesterday...... One button it was down and one more button and it was purring...

Prawning sucked though..... Guess I kill them all :)

OK then...about 90% is work these days....even chartering this morning...didn't see you out there?

But ya,.,My Merc is not great for cold weather starting.I charter fish all winter and find it takes a good five minutes warm up,after the carb freeze,to get them running smooth...but I think Yami's are the the same for minus temps also?

One thing for sure though,dealing with the RPM Tofino & Alberni Power & marine is a cake walk when it comes to service and warranty issues!!!
https://www.facebook.com/CrabbysFishingCharters?ref=hl

Now if you only had clients on those days....... LOL :)

My Mercury was easy to start yesterday...... One button it was down and one more button and it was purring...

Prawning sucked though..... Guess I kill them all :)

OK then...about 90% is work these days....even chartering this morning...didn't see you out there?

But ya,.,My Merc is not great for cold weather starting.I charter fish all winter and find it takes a good five minutes warm up,after the carb freeze,to get them running smooth...but I think Yami's are the the same for minus temps also?

One thing for sure though,dealing with the RPM Tofino & Alberni Power & marine is a cake walk when it comes to service and warranty issues!!!
https://www.facebook.com/CrabbysFishingCharters?ref=hl

90% of 202 days.....that's 181 days a year
I have caught three fish over 40 pounds in my life fishing Vancouver Island.

Lucks just not on your side I guess...... :(

I was going to go today but plans changed. It was icy out yesterday and my mercury started with ease no carb freeze. Maybe you need to have that checked out as it doesn't sound like it was set up right.

My Yamaha T8 was a pain to start some times in the winter but my 90hp Yamaha hates the cold more then it did.

Eyeing up a new 115 Poptimax..... Hope it has a flush system :)

Seems this thread has been hijacked.... Oh well thanks for the help guys

I have a 3 yr old Merc - probably same model as yours and had the same problem flushing...I tried a couple of things including the muffs that inject water through both muffs but no real success...now I apply duct tape to the port side inlet and and use the the muffs with the single jet on the starboard side inlet...works fine but a PITA to have to keep a roll of tape handy, and to remember to take the tape off when finished flushing..

Never need to flush? Are you serious, how much you use in salt?

I moor for 6 months and do 120 trips a summer. Mercury has done their homework with special coatings on the waterjackets and stainless steel on all water systems

Back