floods/ boat hazards

Our friends have had to charter a helicopter to evacuate themselves from hope to the dry side of Abbotsford for a mere $6200. They should be out today...crazy beyond belief what people are going through, and they're either lucky ones who don't have a home or face futher peril.

she about to go, hope people can get out

My buddy who is stuck in Hope, lives in yarrow. So his house will no doubt be flooded if that pump fails. His wife already left yesterday afternoon to higher ground.

Our friends have had to charter a helicopter to evacuate themselves from hope to the dry side of Abbotsford for a mere $6200. They should be out today...crazy beyond belief what people are going through, and they're either lucky ones who don't have a home or face futher peril.
Wow that seems like a steep price. Many people are doing it though. I thought the helicopter pilots would be giving some sort of a deal

They could get full hourly rate from MOTI and other govt depts at the moment just doing highway and railway assessment. Not right to gouge stranded people, but can't blame them for not leaving money on the table.

Driving over the Fraser yesterday it was ripping hard the color is so muddy and the amount of debris is endless from Langley to Richmond and beyond both ways. It would seem mother nature has had enough of our parasitic ways and she is giving it to us with both barrels. I can't imagine how this going to affect all goods and services between tornados floods, and covid things are looking dire for sure. Thoughts and prayers to all who are affected,so horrible..

Wow that seems like a steep price. Many people are doing it though. I thought the helicopter pilots would be giving some sort of a deal

To them, with 2 young kids and after sleeping in a gym for a few nights, it seems like a bargain! They just want to get home safe, the car is done for anyway.

I wonder if the province is going to declare a state of emergency? Seems pretty dire and the valley needs all the help it can get.

Listening to the update this morning it sounds like the nooksack river in the states is flooding Sumas and then it's draining towards the fraser. If the fraser lowers more they can open the flood gates and overflow into the Fraser and help the pumps out

We're looking at big 15 foot tides for the next week or 2 minimum. :/
And pretty heavy rain this weekend. Not like last weekend, but heavy for normal standards

EDIT: I was looking at an outdated forecast. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Now there is a Huge fire at an RV dealership in Abbotsford .Tons of burning vehicles and concern that a propane refilling site could go up. High Voltage powerlines at risk.

Well at least squam up to whistler is getting cold. Will turn into snow. The valley will take the biggest beating. Really unfortunate for the lives lost in lollooet and other areas.

Are you referring to the valley? AccuWeather seems to be showing a decent weekend for weather, for vancouver anyway.
Oh it must have changed in the last couple days. I checked a few days ago and Friday-Sunday was like 15mm of rain per day.

I don't understand why they don't heli a couple big firepumps in the RV fire. Place is surrounded by water. I dunno

Somebody is finally realizing that peoples lives are at risk and the locals can't pull everything together by themselves. Strange that the Province hasn't declared the state of emergency just yet.

Somebody is finally realizing that peoples lives are at risk and the locals can't pull everything together by themselves. Strange that the Province hasn't declared the state of emergency just yet.

300 people sandbagging the pump station all night

1637167154969.png

Watched the news conference this morning. Abbotsford's mayor could barely talk straight. Must have been a super stressful night for all of them. Talked to a buddy who runs a business in Yale and they were all part of that effort last night. Most farms/businesses in that stretch of the road between Watcom and No. 3 aren't salvageable anyways. It's all about buying more time to save lives at this point.

With the freezing temps and the big tides, this could take a while to settle.

i wonder if icbc will cover that? holy crap!

Back