floating worm for trout?

could oyu tell me how to make roe and all the materials to do so ive always wanted to try it?
Go to your nearest salmon farm and collect some eggs from the morts then make a salty brine and spew disease all over your favorite fishing hole. When you bring out the guts you're going to the next level, dancing the line on chuming the water, flossing fish. Its also really stinky.
Buy some micro leaches, or tie some, then ad split shot, bobber and your fishing. Really, try it. If you're near a fly and tackle shop just let them know you need some flys to hang off the bottom, you don't need to fly cast, works just as good on a spinner. I do it all the time with my fly rod and strike indicator, (fly fishing Bobber) If you get one look in its stomach, match the hatch and you will load up!

Roe has got its place, mostly in winter fishing in my opinion, as it milks nicely and draws the fish in when normally they are quite docile and the right presentation needs to be right in front of them to entice a strike. Why anyone would get their roe from a salmon farm is beyond me... I hate everything about those things and wouldent be caught buying the meat, let alone the roe from those nasty fish. Fishing coho every year I always find ill get one with roe, which easily supplies me with a years worth. I am also a 'purist' but I dont mind putting roe out while around the fire, camping, in order to have some nice fresh trout for breakfast in the morning and when I do get them like that I dont feel at all bad about doing so.

I love campfires

Roe has got its place, mostly in winter fishing in my opinion, as it milks nicely and draws the fish in when normally they are quite docile and the right presentation needs to be right in front of them to entice a strike. Why anyone would get their roe from a salmon farm is beyond me... I hate everything about those things and wouldent be caught buying the meat, let alone the roe from those nasty fish. Fishing coho every year I always find ill get one with roe, which easily supplies me with a years worth. I am also a 'purist' but I dont mind putting roe out while around the fire, camping, in order to have some nice fresh trout for breakfast in the morning and when I do get them like that I dont feel at all bad about doing so.
:rolleyes:;);)

One other thing you should definatly try is a large blood worm like a size 8 with a larger bead head. keep it floating about a foot off the bottom. Great on cloudy wet days.

^^^

chironomid fishing without a fly rod, interesting method, probably would catch you fish? Only problem is, the lake drops off, so you wont know how deep you should have your fly if your fishing from the shore.

kunni

I agree with some posts on here. Do not fish the worm on the bottom if you can fish it one or two feet above it. The secret is a sliding float. Most worm and bobber fishermen here in BC fish the bait much too shallow, especially in summer because they use a fixed float and so the leader has to be six feet or less or you cannot cast.

I use a long slim sliding float like I used to use in the U.K. with a small mono float stop that passes through the rod rings when cast. I can then fish bait 15 or 20 feet under a float (I hate the term "bobber'.... so red neck U.S.!! LOL) easily. In theory you could go deeper.

I agree, fish look up, or forward, so worm/bait on the bottom is a waste of time. Remember fish close to but not on the bottom at least 15 deep feet in local lakes, especially in summer when the water is warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^

chironomid fishing without a fly rod, interesting method, probably would catch you fish? Only problem is, the lake drops off, so you wont know how deep you should have your fly if your fishing from the shore

Take a guess toss it out, reel it a bit or strip, if the float dips or rolls over its the bottom and then just adjust the strike indicator shallower or deeper if your not on the bottom. That said chronimid fishing can be great fishing your fly really shallow in deaper water, just matters where the fish are goblin! Chrony fishing is freakin awsome when its on!

Chironomids are those little bugs that float on th surface. When it gets warm, they hatch and come to the surface. Before they hatch they are little pupae at the bottom of the lake

Kunni

Any shop that sells fresh water fly tackle sells them, fish can be pretty specific about what they want a chirony to look like. It is a reel match the hatch fishery. Different coloured fine thread, thin copper, silver, wire, little hooks 16-14 average. Good colours, black, brown, grean, chrome, and little tiny bead heads. Google how to tie chironomid. If you can find out what lakes are stocked with rainbows and specificaly interior strains (google fish wizard) from higher elevation lakes like pennask rainbows who really key in on bug life your efforts will be greatly rewarded. Not all island lakes are good for chironomid, acidic lakes are not. Generally you want to keep the movement down to the slightest half inch... slow or not at all. In a boat double anchoring really helps because swaying lines won't work. Think mosquito larva and that is what a chironomid looks like, they will slowly rise to the top and sometimes the hatch isn't visisble on the surface but the fishing can be great. It would sure be nice to see more small lakes stocked with some triploids here on the island.

Brian Chan, has several good books/Videos out dedicated to It.
It's Flyfishing with a Strike indicator, (think little bobber)!

Brian Chan, has several good books/Videos out dedicated to It.
It's Flyfishing with a Strike indicator, (think little bobber)!

you mean its bobber fishing for fly fishermen. Its funny how the same fly fishermen will look down on a guy with a spinning real and float but they'll toss out a chroni and "strike indicator" and act like their purist fly fishermen.

any how, if a fella wants in on some chirony action but doesn't know how to fly cast its no big deal, it works just fine with a spinning setup and some split shots under your float. When in the boat I like to fish one rod with a float and the other slow retrieved naked, or if im feeling lazy rig them both with floats and day dream the day away! Labman and green machine are right, study Brian Chan's stuff if you want to learn about chironomid fishing, and get out there!P1030004.jpg

Back