Flasher and Apex Hockey Sticks

Hi all. I am new to this forum. I am wondering if anyone has used the Apex hockeysticks behind a Hotspot flasher before. If yes, what was the length of leader used from flasher to hockeystick? I use the black and white hockeystick in Kootenay Lake for Gerrard Rainbows which are very similar to sea run Steelhead. I have caught fish just using the hockeystick alone and wondered about using a flasher with it.

Tight Lines

If I run an Apex or Hockeystick by itself, no flasher, then I put them about 40 feet behind the boat.......better action.....

I don't know that a dummy run underneath would be near enough to make any difference......

I was using one just a couple weeks ago on coho red flasher pink and yellow apex 30 in leader and slaying them. had to bring in my second rod.

learn from the inventor

[video]http://www.youfish.tv/19-gary-coopers-fishing-diaries-apex-springs_19a659fab.html

Thank you all for the great advice. I know fresh water fishing for the Gerrards is similar to the Chinooks on the West Coast. The Gerrards will follow the food (Kokanee) towards the surface as water temp cools and the Kokanee come up towards the surface. I have used 150-180' of line with just an Apex and clipped it to the downrigger and run it down 18-20'. I know there is no way to use the dummy flasher then, but wondered about the flasher and Apex combo to attracked them a little more than just a plain Apex. I also do not use a flasher with a bucktail on 200+' of line out on the surface. Just thinking about some experiments to try this fall.

I fished with a guy years ago that ran the small apex off an 11" flasher for coho. Couldn't keep them off the day we were out. and short leader too. about 36". Didn't make sense to me but coho do like a fast action.

The trick is speed, You have to pick up your speed to the point where the Apex falls off its roll and travels Horizontal periodically. Its the change from the circular roll to Horizontal movement that can many times trigger a strike, As per Jack Gaunt. This is why you will often get a strike on the outside rod on a turn. Make sure the Apex is balanced before fishing it. Meaning the Hook knot has to be in the center of the eye so that the hook hangs vertically to the lure. Flashers do work with the lure. However. If you are fishing the lure properly a flasher is not needed, The fish will find it. Also why would you want to use a flasher with a lure that is designed to impart its own action. Its a bit like. Why would you use a flasher with a plug. Also it is so much more fun to play Coho on light tackle.

X2 Coop. I cant stand flashers anymore. This thread has inspired me to try these lures again for coho off my fly rods! Thanks!

I do have to admit when a 20+lb Gerrad Rainbow takes a plain hockey stick and goes, you had better keep the fingers clear of the reel knobs.

There are a few sizes to chose from, for coho or springs.
for coho; I like the 4.5 size in red/silver, white, pink/gold, or orange/gold without a flasher. with a small 9" flasher I like a 1.5 size.
for springs; i have had luck in the winter with size 4.0 in pale blue, white, silver. In the spring, luck with black /pearl, dark green/pearl. some will use the 6.25 size in a white pattern.
I had a triple header off Bowen in May and 2 were on the Apex's.

Back