Favorite Halibut Trolling Bait / Technique

fishchaser

Now that that the winter is upon us and the gear is put away for the off season I thought I would start a thread on favorite Halibut trolling techniques and baits you all prefer. In the past I have been a spreader bar fan however my last trip to Ucluelet gave us good results trolling for the halibut off SW Bank.

We used Glow in the dark white and green speckle back hoochies with a semi long leader behind a hotspot flasher. We dropped our gear down until we hit bottom and continued trolling at a slow speed. This technique worked however only provided us with nice 15 to 20 pounders.

My question is what are your favorite trolling combinations and techniques? I was wondering if using whole pilchards or anchovies behind a flasher would provide better results.

I find trolling the way you described with a white cuttlefish hootchie or a pirates den pearl glow wench hootchy with a double flash LED light inside-gives me all the hali and ling I need-that rig also gives you Springs even if you aren't looking for them!!!

How to target large ones while trolling is a mystery to me... I've never used anything larger than a turd, so my guess is you need to go even larger.

Otherwise... Double sided glow flasher and plenty of scent on a glow turd. I find it hard to believe how easily halis up to 30lbs will hook up but not pop the clip and pretty much go undetected, checking often is important IMO.

how to target large ones while trolling is a mystery to me... I've never used anything larger than a turd, so my guess is you need to go even larger.

Otherwise... Double sided glow flasher and plenty of scent on a glow turd. I find it hard to believe how easily halis up to 30lbs will hook up but not pop the clip and pretty much go undetected, checking often is important imo.

x2.............. :)

Big plugs and stop and go trolling, bounce the ball off the bottom when you stop, let the plug stop and float for 10-15 sec, then start trolling slow again. The plug acts like a floating rapala and we get strikes on the float or soon after you start up again. Also let the plug "dig" into the bottom if you know it has no weeds.

Also a hotspot flasher and a 6" Glow hootchie with a big friggin hook works as well.

Cheers

SS

Betsy flasher and a 6" glow "Mint Tulip" hootchie has worked well for us.

Army truck hootchie. The ones with the larger eyes seem to work better. Go figure. Back to back twin 40's at SW bank this summer followed by a 30 lb. spring. All on the same gear on the bottom.

The cop car. 80lb leader. 55# this year.
002-1.jpg

How long of a leader are you guys running for the 6`` hootchies behind the flashers? How much distance from DR cable? Also, do you run both lines bouncing the bottom or just one? Going to give this technique a try next year out of nootka. Interesting thread for sure. Thanks guys.

The best Hali trolling lure I've used would have to be the big 6" Lyman plugs. They're designed for fishing big Gerrard
Rainbows and Bull trout in Kootney Lake,and are meant to be trolled "Dead Slowww!!" Just change out the hook for
something a little larger. I'll attach it about 3ft. up from the ball and Wayyy Back,sometimes as much as 80 or a 100ft
along a sand bottom.When that far back you need not to be around any other boats,and keep your tack as straight
as possible.When you need to make a turn,just pull the outside rod up 50ft. or so untill you have completed the turn
and tacking straight again. My biggest using this method is 45lbs.

You don't need a flasher with that ;)

I'd say pretty hard to get a biggie trolling, not impossible...... but...

Just kidding.... if you want to get a decent hali..... 3-4lb cut plug pink with 4 10/0's and a glow army truck flasher....

Don't spend it all in one place :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the information and taking the time to respond to my post. Sure sounds like many of you prefer this method instead of the spreader bar / anchor and wait method.

Maybe now is a good time to share areas that have worked best for this style of Butt fishing.

Keep the comments coming.

The 3 S's

Take me fishing, I'll show you. Just kidding... 100 fisherman, 100 different styles.. So whats the best? We all know it's based on factors like weather and conditions, eqipment used, what bait you have available, but most importantly is the amount of patience the boat has collectively.

1 - Just as real estate is valued by location, location, location.. Halibut fishing uses the same principal, if you're drift fishing or anchoring take the time to position yourself by sounding it out. Full stop near a Kelp bed, Rock, or Nav Aid and take a way point also then see which way the tide and wind take you from it. Compare whats actually happening to the tide chart, generalize whats going to happen for the duration of the fishing. Position yourself accordingly.

2 - I'll use my rig as an example. 80 lb braided line to a barrel swivel with 1lb ball on a scissor clip, 3' - 4' 130lb mono attached to same barrel swivel, 16/0 circle hook with barrel swivel in the eye. Manually, in a vice add a slight off set in the cirlcle hook.

3 - I'm not an Octopus, or Squid fan for Halibut bait as I feel it attracts more unwanted species but I'll use it at first to clear out any Spiny fish. Use Salmon. Imagine a palm size portion of a fillet, cut through the center down to the skin but not through it, cover it in scent at this point if you want, fold it together skin to skin. put the circle hook through the most aerodynamic end, piercing the two layers of skin. Add a coho head and send that baby down.

4 - I'm an anchor guy, I'll sit there all day if the tide lets me. Fishing any more than a 2lb ball on a 45 degree angle is pointless, call it a day or go Salmon fishing.

The 3 S's. Sound Smell Sight
Sound - Leave the rod in the rod holder, no jigging! Constantly adjust the line so that the ball hits the ground once every 5 - 7 waves. Seldom.
Smell - We are sending down nice bait, the tide will carry the scent downstream hopefully attracting the targetted species.
Sight - The sound and smell has caught the attention of a hungry Halibut, now it see's it. Go time!

There is a 4th S:
Set - Reel to set, your reel's drag was set so that you need a lot of arm strength to pull it off the reel. Now your rod is bending and it's quite obvious theres a fish on. Leave the rod in the holder, grab the reel by cupping your hand over the left side and reel, using this method will allow you to control the wobble effect of reeling and free up your index finger to guide the line on to the spool evenly. Level wind reels should be left South of the border. Look at the spool as you reel, I've seen guys reel wildely and get nothing because the lever was out of position or the drag was set too low. The circle hook is Self Energizing, constant pressure sets these hooks. A jerk type set will rarely work, lowering the rod allows loss of tension and the fish is gone. Reeling to set keeps constant pressure, use the waves to pull the fish up, reel down the wave, wave pulls the fish up, reel down the wave........ once the fish is set, pull the rod and go for it. If it's really big, or the person doesn't have the strength, put the top foam of the rod on to the gunnell, butt in the crotch, left hand cupping the reel........

This method is tried, tested, proven on hundreds of large Halibut with guests on a guided boat that were very experienced or have never fished before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe now is a good time to share areas that have worked best for this style of Butt fishing.

Out of Nootka just head out and find a sand bottom at 150ft or deeper and you should find them no problem. Scent and glow...... Imo just about everything seems to work so don't be worried about using a green flasher over a blue lol.

Nice barn door there,drpower. Just curious what brand and model hali reels you are running there.I'm in the market for
a couple nice reels this offseason.

They look like a pair of Shimano Talica 16 lever drags or 2 sp version..really sweet reels ...getting a couple to play with for next season..... :)

Back