Fishing with diving planers

Anybody ever try using diving planers on there lines to get there lines deeper. My big boat has riggers but my small boat does not. I have heard they work not bad but pull like crazy. Seems like I am using the small boat lately more than the big one but all the fish I have hooked into this month have been below 65 ft and they look like a not bad alterative to smaller riggers on a boat that is just not meant for them.

Fishing salmon. As I said I have scotty downwriggers on my double eagle (the larger boat) but have been using my aluminum boat alot more lately and welding on downrigger mounts is a job I really don't want to try. Trying to weld on aluminum after it has been is salt water is not usually fun. I fish the smaller boat when I don't have the tides to launch the bigger boat.

Yes and have caught plenty of springs in the low light portions of the day.

See the below post for more info:

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6326&SearchTerms=delta

Posted - 05/31/2007 : 01:44:30
We do it all the time...2 down on the riggers and 2-3 out the back running Delta Divers.

The divers will get your offering 20-40feet deep. Caught nooks on the divers plenty but they typically take silvers. You will need a little stouter rod than your typical center-pin rod to handle the drivers. Something in the 8 - 8ft6in 20-40lb line rating.

The diver trips when when you get stike and they never get tangled...ever. We often will run three out the back of an 8ft beam boat. The driver clips to your main line. From there you run a flasher connected directly to the diver as pic'd below and then your leader back to a herring, chovy, spoon, tomic, or what ever. You can also rig a hotspot with hoochie with enough leader between diver and flasher to let the flasher work.

Delta Divers:

P1010249.jpg

Diver w/Big Al's Fish Flash: Lot of guys like the Kone Zone flasher for nooks as they spin slower.

P1010247.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the info. Eman I have a set of scotty sidemount holders on my boat at present for mounting my wire rod holders. I can't believe I didn't think of trying the laketrollers in there. I guess I figured they would be a touch small. Anyway I am a sucker for tackle so I picked up a luhr jensen diving lure on the way home from work today. Would love to head out and give it a try but the wind is blowing a touch too much to head out tonight.

We use Divers all the time in NW Oregon and beyond. Delta's, Dipsey's EZ Divers and the Flash Rattle and Dive are just a few. If I am going for depth I use a Deep Six with the heaviest weight I can find. Depth isn't that hard to achieve when you are using thin main line. I usually th=rend towards 80 # Xtratuff line or lighter. That gives less resistance so depth isn't a problem. Divers that stay released are important when you go real light though. A delta has a tendency to be tripped when the fish run towards you. There are also the buoyant type like the Jet Diver or the new Eagle Claw one. These will not get you much deeper than 50-60 feet under optimal conditions. I generally fish in rivers and hit the Salt a few time a season so my deep fishing isn't often. A good Flasher should bring the fish up into your spread anyway. Good luck, Mike

Back