Fishing using bait

I dont use trailers just a 1/0 treble "HOOK" I will when we are allowed to keep fish and they are short biting ill use a trailer but its not very often and FYI ive seen just as much damage done with a single hook Tomic spoons, plugs with 5/0 hooks seen them go right up into brain cavity a treble that doesnt happen FYI.

btw there is 3 hooks on a treble if you didnt know.....so I apologize for saying "hooks" ill try my best to say "HOOK" instead just for you....

THEY ALL do damage ive fished for over 45 years man and coming up to 35 professionally you dont have to tell me or lecture me on what and how seen alot over those years, and how gear has changed. I can flip my barbless hook off VERY easily at side of boat or like Ive said prior i just cut it off. YOU will never see me handle a fish at side of boat and lift for a hero shot never have never will, I WILL when I KILL a fish because im proud of some of my clients getting there first salmon or on how excited they were getting it...

Was going to clean this up but just going to put the cease and desist order in place instead. The OP did not ask for ANOTHER debate on trebles vs singles when fishing. Frankly, I am sure that if you could ask the fish, they would tell you that both setups hurt a hell of a lot! Sticking to the point of this post, I will remind the two of you who have a penchant for derailing threads like this one, with your perceived desire to have a single hook regulation in place, to start a thread about it and have at a CIVIL debate. Now, back to the OP's original questions...

1)When you are running bait, whether it be anchovy or herring, what percent of the time would you say chinook salmon are hooked via the top hook(hook that goes into the side of the herring/anchovy to get the slight bend) as compared to the trailing hook.

2) Do you guys prefer using wet or dry brine for herring/anchovy and why...

You will notice, there is nothing in the questions that refer to treble vs single, so stick to the conversation about what percentage of time the front hook or the trailer does the deed, as well as the brine question, and all will be well.

As far as your brine question, a number of years ago I happened on a dry powder product made by Baitmasters in Florida called MagicBrine. They are famous for providing preserved baits for Billfish tournaments around the world. That's what the dry powder was developed for. Anyway, for frozen Anchovies or Herring, I semi thaw the tray of bait, sprinkle on a light dusting of the MagicBrine powder, then pack in non-iodized rock salt and back in the freezer. The day I fish, I grab a tray of bait, put it in a cooler with ice, and by the time I run to where ever I'm fishing that day, the baits are firm but thawed enough to place in my favorite Rhys Davis Anchovie head or plug cut in a Dick's Sure Spin Herring Helmet. I don't know what is in the powder, but if we run into a bait ball while fishing and can jig some up with Sabiki's, we put them on ice, sprinkle their bellies with MagicBrine and within an hour they are firmed up, bright as a silver dollar and ready to use. It's great stuff. I had a day at Swale Rock in Barkley a couple of years ago buddy boating, fishing Springs with friends. We traded off days providing bait and on our day we gave them a tray of MagicBrine and rock salt Anchovies. About 30 minutes into our morning we got a call on the radio asking us what we had done to the bait? They couldn't keep the fish off. That's been our experience too. You can wet brine with it too, 1/4 cup powder to 1 liter of water. I personally like and have had better luck with the dry method. I have seen it occasionally in tackle shops, but I buy it straight from the company in Florida. It's really cheep at $3.00 for an 8 oz shaker bottle or $9.99 US for an 8# (gallon?) bottle. I buy the 8#ers because of the shipping cost, but I also end up with 16 8 oz bottles to share with friends or give away. Also, try squeezing some Garlic or Bloody Tuna sticky liquid bait gel into the bait head after it's rigged. Doesn't have to be much, but that has been really successful for us too.
Tight Lines, Tuna Maru

Back