Fishing trip in Maui.

I'm back.

Well it almost turned out to be a boat ride. Just when I was thinking I wasted my money I spotted a sailfish floating on the surface with its dorsal fin swaying gently back and forth in the waves. It darted under the boat and the deck hand jumped into action. We circled and figure eighted the spot but no bite. The captain said that sailfish in the area were rare and that he had only seen five in his thirty years guiding. It happened so quickly there was no chance to get a picture. My heart rate elevated during the experience so I consider the trip a positive one. Here are some pics.
IMG_5991.jpgphoto (2).jpgphoto (3).JPGphoto (4).jpgphoto (5).jpgphoto (6).jpg

Hi Guys,
I,m going to Lahaina for 2 weeks. Leaving in 1 week.
Does anyone have any current info?
I, m by myself and want to keep the price reasonable.
Great suggestion above---- to go down to the docks when they return and there see who is doing what
Any other tips?
Would posting a ad in the local rag work? Ie "looking for ride along with local. Will pay gas and bait"

Check out the sportfishing reviews for Lahaina on Trip Adviser. They will tell you what shared charters are available, and how the customers rated the boat, trip and crews.

have fun!!!!

Lahaina is the best spot to find a charter. All you need is to drop in at one of the many kiosk and book your spot. There are other charters that take you bottom fishing too.

Went on a 2 a.m. departure charter with Start me up from Lahaina last May and had a great time. 9 tuna and 3 mahi mahi. No problem with keeping some of the catch. Captain and deckhand were fantastic. On the way back we encountered a huge school of spinner dolphins and went swimming with them. Unbelievable experience.

Back