Fishing South Island rivers and lakes

fish brain

Crew Member
Hi All
I am heading out for a few days of river fishing next week. We are thinking about the Nitnat , Lizard Pond, Franklin River mouth, Nahmint River, maybe the Stamp and Somass. Do you have any suggestions about what gear to use or particular areas to try? This will be mainly a fly fishing trip, but I will probably bring my center pin rod just because.

The Stamp and the Somass are getting pretty high at this point, basically only jet boats and drift boats on there now. That being said, if you can find a safe place to wade out to where the fish are, you'll be glad you brought the pin. It's still pretty good for Chinook (got 2, almost dime brights yesterday) , and the Coho are definitely making big pushes on some days.

I'm not sure about the other systems though. Hopefully someone can help you on here. Good luck with your trip man!

The Stamp and the Somass are getting pretty high at this point, basically only jet boats and drift boats on there now. That being said, if you can find a safe place to wade out to where the fish are, you'll be glad you brought the pin. It's still pretty good for Chinook (got 2, almost dime brights yesterday) , and the Coho are definitely making big pushes on some days.

I'm not sure about the other systems though. Hopefully someone can help you on here. Good luck with your trip man!
Thats good to know.
Thank you

Back