Fishing reel recommendations

RMH

Looking to replace our old Peetz reels. Want ones for downriggers. Reliable, functional a must. Don't need high end but willing to pay for right reel.
What is best line/test to put on?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thx in advance.

RM

Looking to replace our old Peetz reels. Want ones for downriggers. Reliable, functional a must. Don't need high end but willing to pay for right reel.
What is best line/test to put on?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thx in advance.

RM

you can upgrade your current peetz reels with new drag system and refurbisj just have to call them...I have also been running one of the peetz evolution reels and like it..My others are all trophys...Both are good reels and dont break the pocket book.

I use Trophy's and am super happy with them. I also use the Shimano GT 4000's and am super happy as well. In fact, the other day I threw a zinger in the water tied to a spool of line and hand bombed in a rockfish and I was still stoked. If I'm fishing then it don't matter what i'm using. Buy one of everything and support all the companies and be thankful your fishing. You're going to get a million and one suggestions with this question, unfortunately (or fortunately) there is no one right answer. Cheers and happy shopping!

Ive got 1 trophy qr and 1 tfo pacific just newly aquired havent tried them yet but Ive read the good and the bads but they all work just if you want to elminate line creep and can stand a little extra gear while trolling, run a small scotty snap off on the rigger boom to hold the line while its trolling to keep the line from creeping.

I use Diawa M-one reels. they were cheap and do the job well. i dont have issues with line creep. I used MR3's when out with a guide and found that my Diawas are easier to adjust the drag while the fish is running.

My Shimano moochers are older & great - don't know about problem reels except this forum has a thread about the problem & how to get an upgraded drag washer to fix it. Other than when trolling, I never use the drag; i loosen it after the hook set.

As for line, I have been using 20# spectra/PowerPro for over 25 years. Went to West Coast Fishing Club at Langara this year & their top guide really loved it; much better for hook sets. It will not hold in the release clip, so i use 20 yards of 40# mono top shot on the end. The low diameter & no stretch are really nice when trolling deep. Unlike mono, it lasts many years.

I like my 'MR2s, MR3, 4000GTs in that order. They all need to be looked after. Back off the drags when not in use. Soak em in fresh water, and lube them. Love them all when there's a fish on.
Stosh

Diawa M1's, Shimano 2000 and 4000, or older Diawa's if you find any in great shape work well. different drag systems though, all those for 100 or less. All affordable reels. the Trophy you pay 300 or more for may require higher quality parts to make them right, so why pay the money. the Islanders are wonderful but cost 500 or more.

buy 100 reels and LOOK AFTER THEM.

I love the rapala shift reels they are great the flat handles are easy to grip I would highly recommend

I have an MR3 and I also have GT4000. And an old Alvey fibreglass that gets a run occasionally as a spare reel! There's no getting around it, the MR3 is expensive. I think the upgrade is mainly aesthetic, both in quality of machining and finish as well as 'feel'. The drag really is beautifully smooth. You have a fish on and it's taking short stabby runs a few metres from the boat, sudden stops in between. You can play the fish one handed if you want to, because the drag is so good. Fish takes line, fish stops, reel stops, still tension on the line. (Of course if the fish runs toward the boat then the rod holder has to get to work). Palming the reel is completely unnecessary.

I know in the past couple of years we have seen more products in a middle price range that claim similar high-end drag systems without the high price of the Islander. I can't speak to how well those work. But bear in mind they have effectively set the Islander as the benchmark for quality and performance, they all sport large diameter drag systems and CNC machined anodised aluminum bodies. It's somewhat akin to Harleys and the host of V twin cruiser bikes all trying to look, sound and ride like them. Some will treasure 'the real thing', others just see them as hype and image and cheerfully enjoy the less expensive but similar performing product. And just like Harleys, the Islanders have the odd annoying little trait (line creep) that owners put up with as 'part of the experience' and detractors consider unacceptable in an expensive reel. Lots of charter operators use Islanders because of their longevity, that gear gets run more in a season than recreational users put on in a decade. Quality is there but it's irrelevant to most sport fisherpeople. But you can go on a charter and 'test drive' the expensive gear to see if the lovely 'feel' they have is enough to make you lay down $600.

In the end it's personal preference. From $100 to $600, they all do the job. There will be as many opinions as there are salmon fishermen.

I'm using a Allen "Kraken" reel this season, works well and has a super smooth drag
but you have to use braided line. I removed the counterweight and replaced it with another handle.

DSC_0251__90456.1434058523.500.500.jpg

here's an old thread with lots of opinions...

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-24370.html

Last edited by a moderator:
images.jpgI find 275 Diawa reels inexpencive 20$ ,They work well and with the part reels i have will last a long time.

I use Diawa M-one reels. they were cheap and do the job well. i dont have issues with line creep. I used MR3's when out with a guide and found that my Diawas are easier to adjust the drag while the fish is running.

I use those too. Inexpensive and excellent.

I picked up one of those new Theron reels at PNT in Parksville, this spring and have used it alot this season,and it has performed flawlessly, with a great sound as a screamer takes off and drag system that plain old works all the time. No birdsnest--no line creep---no adjusting, just set your bait/lure down and walk away. I'm looking forward to their 2016 line..Have fun looking..

The nicest piece of equipment in my arsenal by far is my Coast DR1.0 reel. Love it. Different class than my 4000's for sure. From dropping down on the rigger to fighting a fish it is flawless. Having said that I could never afford to buy one was just fortunate to win one earlier this year. TGB out!

Back