Fishing Log

juandesooka

The data discussion in the Sooke Reports got me thinking.

Wolf raises some good points about how he's been screwed by DFO, in giving log info, but overall I agree with profisher, more data is likely beneficial. Because if there's doubt, they will always err on side of conservation. If the data shows no problem, then a lot less likely to put in restrictive measures.

That's one of the main arguments the commercial lobby uses against rec fishers in the halibut debates. And the rec sectors asks for DFO to collect better data, with an online creel survey / log book for example, but it never happens.

I'm a member of the bigwavedave site, and they have an interesting wind/kite surfing log book:
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/sai...hp?mode=common
You post where you surfed, what the conditions were like, what gear you used, and how you did. It's a fun way to track your own progress and that of your friends. But it also ends up being a helpful resource: # of rideable days per month at different spots, and first-hand reports on what worked and what didn't.

I think that would be a pretty neat tool for SFBC to put in place ... it would be fun for members, but then it also would become a resource (and yes, we know DFO is on here keeping an eye on what's going on). One thing I think it would do, that's really important, is show the REAL catch rate of the average rec angler ... because I believe their fly-over stats are heavily skewed by that old fact ... people brag when they catch and are silent when they don't.

I know everyone wouldn't want to share ... some already post all their trips, some never say anything. But for those who choose to use it, could be fun and informative. Just a suggestion!

So ... if SFBC put something like this in place ... would you post? Or no?

Back