Fishing line?????

What's the with the thicker leaders than line? What happened to the theory that if the line is to break, it's better at the leader end than higher up the line.....?? (call me a newby!)

I use heavy leader (40 lb) on my anchovies and on hootchies for only one reason...better action than lighter weight.

boc

Also..... The fish fights the flasher first. The amount of drag it creates is AUSOME, especialy w/ larger Springs and northern Coho.

It's all about ambiance.

Mr. Dean...try the Gibbs Farr Better Flasher...or convert your existing ones (pre-rigs can be bought up here for under $6.00) Once a fish is on, the bottom releases and all you feel is fish. This also puts less stress on your main line so you can run lighter weight but still I use heavy leaders but not because of the flashers.

boc

quote:
quote:
Mr. Dean...try the Gibbs Farr Better Flasher...or convert your existing ones (pre-rigs can be bought up here for under $6.00) Once a fish is on, the bottom releases and all you feel is fish. This also puts less stress on your main line so you can run lighter weight but still I use heavy leaders but not because of the flashers.

boc
OK. I got out of bed this morning and really, really thought I finaly new it all. Thanks for blow'n the wind out of my sails !

I thought I took my fishing fairly serious but for the love of kripton I got no idea what you just said.... Could you please expand on this.
How is it rigged ?. Can it be used of a downrigger ?. What happens to the flasher, where does it go ?.

One season of barbless and I pretty much quit using flashers opting to tie them onto the cable directly instead. Found my hit ratio down but hook-up's, up. I only revert back to "old school" when Bait, spoons and plugs fail, leaving the good ole hoochy-coochy a chance to "whirl n twirl"

It'll be a HARD SELL to get me BACK !. But I am listening.

I do agree w/ your point of the transmission of energy to the lure w/ heavy test mono.

It's all about ambiance.

ps. Where's "up here" ?.

It's all about ambiance.

Dean, here's a link for the flasher (http://www.gibbsfishing.com/products/fbflasher.asp)
Instead of attaching your main line to a normal flash and then attaching your gear to the end, this unit has it's own leader that runs through a wedding ring which is attached to the top of the flasher and the line in pinned to the rear with what looks like a cribbage peg. Once a fish is hooked the rear pin releases and the flasher is now only attached at the top and can run free up your line.You now have no resistance from the flasher and all you feel is hook and fish.
"Up here" is Courtenay/Campbell River.
Gibbs/Nortac products are distributed through vertually all tackle shops.
They are a little more in price, but well worth the investment, and as I stated before, you can also convert all your other flashers if you can drill small holes and attached a larger ring to your swivel that is on the top and use their rigged leaders.
Once you see the set-up it will make total sense.
I still sometimes use a ghost flasher, but with big springs I like to get my downriggers out of the water quickly and not have to deal with pulling in that ghost too.
Paul

boc

30 lb Trilene Big game inshore on the reel 50 lb on the leaders.

:)
Do most of you combine flashers/dodgers with plugs?
Or do you mean that the plug itself got the erratic moves thats needed?

Thx

Sweedish charter captain :)

Back