Fishing in the Fog.

Very clever, simple yet effective! I never would have thought of that!! Smaller boats could use an extendable handle off a car wash brush or a cheap painters pole to gain elevation.

Lets face it, you HAVE to pay attention out there. someone who thinks he or she does not need to do this, or have that, will always be out there putting our lives at risk.

I may switch mine to that one when my arch is done. I have a mobri and they are not as good as Davis ones.. All I did is zap strapped it to a boat hook which is extendable.... Sits in holder in boat and goes up high. I can put it away when not using. I still use it as a hook and cylinder doesn't get in way...

Although all the BC ferries rescue boats and a lot of the SAR have mobris...

I got stuck out in the fog earlier this week as well. Has me looking at radar. Anyone have any experience with the Lowrance broadband radar? Are they adequate?

I run a Lowrance 3G dome with an HDS7. I bought both at the boat show 2 years ago. Radar $999 ; HDS $750 . Prices were after rebates and boat show discount. All said and done the combo was less than $2k and in my opinion it paid for itself on the first foggy day. The 4G dome was a big jump in price from the 3G and so far I have been quite happy with the 3G Dome.

Love that reflector idea. You are so right, most boats do not offer up a strong reflection. I have a Lowrance HDS plus HD Radar - the combo is amazing. Especially when combined with the point 1 option to overlay the radar over your chart plotter maps. Cost wise, cheap insurance. The HD Radar was about $1200. Harbour Chandler is where I get all my electronics.

This is a great thread as it is helping create a lot of awareness about just how dangerous it really is to run in the fog. I have had a few close calls. All have been with boaters who are running at full tilt using their GPS chart plotter with NO radar. GPS is not a navigation tool to be used in isolation in foggy conditions. In fact I believe the advent of GPS has actually increased the danger of collision due to operators who have their confidence artificially bolstered.

Like I said earlier, I think the collision regulations need to be modernized to recognize this particular flaw in the mindset of most boaters.

My best practice/advice is buy a radar unit, slow down and keep a close watch. I'm also an advocate of installing AIS, particularly for anyone who is operating off shore in the shipping lanes. Radar really is no good to you unless you are paying attention all the time.

I talked to a guy in my marina who scoffed at installing AIS (he had radar) until he was almost run over by a 900 foot freighter. He said that when he first noticed the freighter it was so close that the radar reflection off it was scattering the signal and it was impossible for him to figure out which direction and course the ship was on...until it was too late and drove right by him within 100 feet. Way too close call. He now has AIS.

Oh ya, in case you think..."I can out run any freighter" check out on AIS just how fast they are running - most are going between 15 and 23 mph...I seriously doubt you can get out of their way once they are inside a mile unless you know exactly what course they are actually on.

Again, how much is your life worth? Pretty cheap insurance really.

My 25 cents. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Searun
Did you get the AIS from HC? Can ya remember what they are worth? I've heard really good things about the Lowrance Radar systems, simple to use and easy to operate. Great value for the money. I run a Furuno Navnet and the instruction book is written for rocket scientists! That's definitely not me! This forum has made me decide to enroll in a Power Squadron radar course to get the most out of my system.

Yes, very simple to run. Especially easy with the chart plotter overlay. The bonus is the HD units do not put out any radiation. As soon as my wife heard that, the old radar was a thing of the past. AIS unit I have is an ICOM. It was around $400. Worth every penny.

Basic unit as it only receives and does not put out my position to other vessels. If you want a transceiver unit they are around $1,000. The other really cool (as in going on my boat next season) unit is Lowrance now has an auto pilot - they are about $1,000. But, kicker is you need to have the HDS touch plotter to work with it. Its a sweet unit indeed!

Searun,
Thanks for the info, I think I will head up to HC next wknd and talk to mike about the AIS

I wouldn't be rushing to go get AIS capability, as I personally think sport boats should be focusing more on what they are doing and not what others are. Safe speed when running and at any time in fog looking out the window and monitoring radar.

As others have mentioned, not all commercial traffic is required to broadcast AIS. If you fish in close proximity to a ferry route or shipping lane then yes it may help to some extent.

Great thread though.. At the very least, I think every boat should have a radar reflector regardless of where you fish.

Correct, by law only 300 GT and larger. However, if you are fishing in the shipping lanes like many of us are, one of the big risks is the big boys who are not required to avoid us. Rather, we are required to avoid them. The main advantage of AIS is you can see them coming 10 miles away and know their precise course in relation to your position. Radar isn't that precise. I can also look up the ship's information and see what their course and speed are to determine how much time I have to make a decision on getting out of the way or not. Agreed AIS isn't as useful if you are not fishing in areas of heavy commercial traffic. So IMO the AIS unit is worth its weight in gold if for nothing else than piece of mind not having to worry about where the big guys are at.

Correct, by law only 300 GT and larger. However, if you are fishing in the shipping lanes like many of us are, one of the big risks is the big boys who are not required to avoid us. Rather, we are required to avoid them. The main advantage of AIS is you can see them coming 10 miles away and know their precise course in relation to your position. Radar isn't that precise. I can also look up the ship's information and see what their course and speed are to determine how much time I have to make a decision on getting out of the way or not. Agreed AIS isn't as useful if you are not fishing in areas of heavy commercial traffic. So IMO the AIS unit is worth its weight in gold if for nothing else than piece of mind not having to worry about where the big guys are at.

If you are fishing in the shipping lanes in the fog, you should have all the "bells and whistles". GPS, Radar, AIS, and some balls.

I run the 3G radar networked to all 3 head units in the boat. It is amazing at close in real world (the view you want most of the time) stuff. They are not as good for distance in my limited opinion. I wasn't looking for that anyway. If I'm getting into trouble it will be close and these units show you a lot close in. Very impressive performance for the money. They put out very low radiation as well. Less than a cell phone. No more warming up your burritos on the dome with these units. You can mount them close to you with minimal health effects. No more 2 degree cant required either. They self adjust. They are a great performing radar at a great price. The 3g's are always on a great deal at the HC. They have sold tons of them. They stock mounts for them as well.

I have AIS receiver through my Standard Horizon VHF radio networked into my Lowrance system. I will be looking into a dedicated Lowrance AIS box so I can respond as well as receive. Nice for the ships and others to see me, which direction I am going, and how fast etc.

I agree with other posters about all of this technology not replacing eyes and ears. Ears is one that has not been brought up much. While traveling slow in the fog I will have my radar on, I will be looking ahead of me (while glancing at the radar screen every once in a while), I will have my furnace on clearing the inside of my windows, I will have my windshield wipers on clearing the outside of my windows, and I will have my drivers side slider window open. I can see what is ahead of me directly in front of the boat and "listen" for fog horns or engine noise from other vessels.

Visibility in the fog goes way beyond radar. That moist air wreaks havoc on your windows. I hate the fog as much as most folks on here. I like Poppa Swiss's analogy of parked cars don't cause accidents.

"They are only fish" - Fishtofino

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed this radar reflector a week ago. Now I just need to test it :).

View attachment 14488

While out on the water, call or radio Vessel Traffic Services for Victoria, tell them you are wanting to check on the strength of your radar signal strength, then give them your gps cords.

I did this and they were a great help and told me I was sending out a strong signal, which was nice to hear being a 16' fiberglass w/ soft top.

Here's their contact info...... http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/e0003906

Back