Fishing in Babine and Francois early July: suggestions welcomed

Sakana

My two sons and I have planned a weeks fishing on Babine and Francois (and other lakes nearby) July 4-8 in a 17' Lund. Have mainly fished around Edmonton with this boat.

Would like to go after Lakers (as well as rainbow and kokanee).

Was out on Stuart years ago with a friend but have not tried this ourselves.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

You can try Pinkut Creek on Babine Lake. There is a rough campsite near the hatchery. Great fishing area though.

Takysie lake is jammed full of rainbows. If you go out at first light the whole lake lights up with risers. Its over the francois lake ferry.

Dont get to close to the stellako river its fly fishing only. check the regs. The western end I hear is better for rainbows, but not so much for lakers. (only hearsay, never checked it myself.) The Northern tip of Babine is supposed to be good for rainbows if you get up by the river flowing out into nilikitaw lake (cant spell the frigin name of that lake) is called rainbow alley. Amazing fishing if you hit the time right I hear. If you do end up on stuart Watch out for how fast the lake blows up, she can get nasty really fast. I've heard stories of Takysie but never fished there good to hear they are true! Monty

Remember Babine is a BIG lake. So decide where you are going to fish and dont plan on chasing all over the lake. You will do more cruising than fishing. In past years I had great success for lakers using chrome Canadian Wiggler plugs, but large spoons work as well. Fish 50-70 ft if possible and near rocky drop offs. Big rainbows home in on Pinkut and Fulton Rivers for sockeye eggs and may be starting to show up when you are there.
Good luck.

Rainbow Alley is awesome. Also had good luck at Ft Babine and between Smithers Landing and the Babine River mouth.

For Lakers user a very large gibbs stewart, or a Ruby eye down deep at a very slow troll. Flashers are great too.
A laker will feel like you're dragging a boot, until you get them near the surface.

Rainbow... Use a red and white or blue / silver trout killer (Apex) with maybe 1.5 to 2 oz weight unless it's hot, and if it's hot run down about 35 feet or so.. play with the depths depending on water temp

Stuart lake is good, as well as Babine, as you mention.

As for the wind blowing up on Stuart as mentioned, what you watch for on that lake, is the dreaded black line down the lake.. No black line = great day... See a line coming towards you? GTFO the lake quick lol.

Back