New to the forum, and looking for some advice regarding fishing around Nanaimo.

Tyangelo

Hi all!
I'm an active member of the Alberta Outdoorsman forum, and was talking to a few of the other members, regarding an upcoming (and long overdue) offshore fishing trip. They suggested I post the question on this forum. Makes sense...haha.

A friend and I have a trip planned out starting Aug 17th. Plan is to utilize the empty house his parent's own in Nanaimo, and spend as much time as possible dragging hooks for whatever we can get in our bellies. Salmon, prawns, and maybe halibut (location allowing) being the main targets, we just can't wait to get out there! My uncle who lives in Powell River and used to own a charter scored me Scotty elelectric downriggers, rods/reels, flashers, tackle etc, which is killer. I've taken my VHF course, and am just wrapping up installing a kicker to compliment the 17 ft Legend/115 Merc.

Have been given suggestions on looking into fishing Port Alberni, or right out of Nanaimo. Being able to set a couple prawn or crab traps, troll all day for salmon, and pick up the traps on the way home sounds magical right now! My uncle has given me some basic tips, but is unfamiliar with how the fishing has been the last few years.

Location/structure advice, as well as any recommendations to bait shops, launches, techniques, gear selection etc would be amazing! Thanks for the help, and we'll see you on the water soon!

Back