Fishing Derbies aound Vancouver

B

Brisco

The guys on the Island seem to have all the fun.Are there any derbies around Vancouver area? I would be willing to go across to Nanaimo.

Might as well make it vic or sooke if your willng to go to nanaimo

Wolf

Wolf, The reason I mention Nanaimo is that we can run across fom the north Fraser arm in about an hour and change.Sooke would be out of the question but we could do Vic.When is the first salmon derby open to the general public?

Sorry thought you were on a trailer!!!!!!!today there is one there used to be one called the frick and frack in feb. but dont know if there doing it again sooke wise in the summer there seems to be one almost every weekend, starting in june with the major one being the JDF invitational 25,000 grand first prise.

Wolf

Wolf, You were right the first time,I am on a trailer.But have you seen the ferry rates lately? M rig is over 50 feet long and overheight.Last year we were able to launch for 8 bucks and fuel to Nanaimo and back was about $80.Return trip on the ferry is close to $400 now.

WOW I didnt know that you would be better off to charter me then LOL LOL for a derby.

wolf

The only Derby of any consequence around Vancouver was the old Kask Brothers Derby out of Horseshoe Bay might have tied in with the Vancouver Sun at one distant point.

The weights kept going down and down then one year some bastards entered a river fish they kept frozen for a year and it all blew up in their faces rules were changed but with such poor returns it all folded.

Some guys out of Thunderbird Marina in W Van have a derby in the spring and of course there's the fireman's derby in the fall but that's just a boozefest/fundraiser sorry Mike but it's the truth.

Wolf, If you were to add up all my costs for a weekend in Sooke it would be a lot less to go with you! I have to go for at least a week to make it worthwhile to trailer to the island.Actually just a day out locally isn't cheap. I used to take people out but stopped when they didn't contribute,heck I had to struggle for them to buy a license!

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

The only Derby of any consequence around Vancouver was the old Kask Brothers Derby out of Horseshoe Bay might have tied in with the Vancouver Sun at one distant point.

The weights kept going down and down then one year some bastards entered a river fish they kept frozen for a year and it all blew up in their faces rules were changed but with such poor returns it all folded.

Some guys out of Thunderbird Marina in W Van have a derby in the spring and of course there's the fireman's derby in the fall but that's just a boozefest/fundraiser sorry Mike but it's the truth.

Yeah, it's unfortunately. No more Kask Bros. Derby, no Curtis Lumber Derby, No Vancouver Sun Derby, it's

O V E R. The other problem is that if there were any "sizeable" prize to it, it would be far too easy to break the rules with float planes and larger boats capable of running a distance.

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

Yeah, it's unfortunately. No more Kask Bros. Derby, no Curtis Lumber Derby, No Vancouver Sun Derby, it's

O V E R. The other problem is that if there were any "sizeable" prize to it, it would be far too easy to break the rules with float planes and larger boats capable of running a distance.
It's been so long that all 3 of those separate derbies are combined into one in the fog of the past, now that you mention them I remember them all.

Those were the days....[8D]

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

It's been so long that all 3 of those separate derbies are combined into one in the fog of the past, now that you mention them I remember them all.

Those were the days....[8D]

Yes..those were the days. Now we have nothing but M E M O R I E S and legends.

Used to be that you'd need a 50 plus to win one, and they were usually hauled out of Britannia/Anvil Island.

Back