Fishing Day Recomendations?

F

FloridaGuy

I am going to be in Victoria on June 20-21 and in Vancouver on June 22-23. I will have 6 people total, including 2 12-year old girls. We are from Florida, and we have a boat and fish all the time. We want to go fishing for one day to have the experience of catching a Salmon. Most commercial boats seem to be limited to 4 people. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to think about chartering 2 boats. Talk to Kevin at Bonnie Lee Charters in Vancouver. Request Paul for a guide. Tell him Bruce sent you.

I am hoping to have everyone on one boat. I don't expect the 2 girls to actually fish, but we want to all do it together.

quote:Originally posted by FloridaGuy

I am hoping to have everyone on one boat. I don't expect the 2 girls to actually fish, but we want to all do it together.

That'll be tough because guides here rarely run anything bigger than 26' often smaller.

Part of it is fuel costs part is that smaller skiffs are more maneuverable.

The boats shown in this link are typical-no room for 4 adults + guide let alone another 2 kids.

http://fishingvictoria.com/chart_salt.asp

I'd phone Kevin @ Bonnie Lee in Vancouver and see what he can do.

http://www.bonnielee.com

In Victoria, give Island Outfitters a try (250) 475-4969. They have a 28' Grady White the may be able to handle a party of 6. Their boats are walking distance from downtown.

and if you can still get an Island Outfitters boat, ask if you can get Elliott (assuming he still does charters)...we rented a bunch of their boats two years ago and he was the best of the group (lol...sorry if any of the other guides are here, but that's an honest assessment for at the time).

And no, my name isn't elliott :D

Keep in mind as well, if you want your best shot at the salmon, the morning charter would be the way to go - may be a pain getting the young ones up and rolling, but being so far away, you gotta do it right! Don't let a guide take you locally to the waterfront or something - go to Sooke, at least as far west as Beechey Bay.

If you can't get a big boat on short notice, you should really consider 2 boats - you could maybe have 1 girl in each and have a 'fish off'....the boat with the biggest fish wins a prize?? huh huh They can easily troll next to or close to each other.

Only other consideration I can think of for those kind of numbers would be Candian Princess in Ucluelet - but thats a long haul from Victoria.

Best of luck

Sorry to modify my question, but where is the best place to fish if your choices are Sooke, Victoria or Vancouver? Assume that I want to target Salmon.

Port Renfrew is a good location but considering that you'll be hauling the kids along adding the drive up to Port Renfrew on top of an early start isn't a great idea.:(

Sooke is a decent compromise as fishing is generally better than the Victoria area for whatever reason.

Back