Fish of a lifetime!!!! Got to love Port Hardy!

I just got a phonecall from a friend and he said I was shortchanging the butt I caught. "Check the offical IPHC website for length-weight relationship. That monster was NOT 240lbs, it was 254.7 lbs." So who am I to argue :D It means 5 more meals of halibut!!! Urp!!!!;)

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

CL .. congrats on the fish. I just got back from a week in Alberta and that is one heck of a start for “blood in the boat”. How is the new ride. GLG

Hey Bryan, what can I say, you the man, CONGRATULATIONS...... :D:D Seawolf and I just got back from Barkley Sound and I picked up a 55 lb. and a 66 lb. hali, they sure look small compared to yours....:(. What I can say is "Vive La Cube Libre"... SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

It is better than I expected. With the forward helm position, I thought I would really notice increased pounding in 3ft seas. It didnt happen. The boat was quite happy in 3 ft seas at 20 MPH.. Cruised nicely at 25 in 2ft chop. Being a lighter boat than glass, however, I had to watch that I didnt become airborn when I was in some large swells on the outside.

What is really nice is the stability the wide bottom gives for fishing. When I got the fish in close and my buddy harpooned it-- both of us were hanging on to the fish while leaning on the gunnel. The boat didnt tip more than 15%. After killing it, both of us were standing in the open bow straining our guts out to lift the fish into the boat. Even with all that weight on the nose of the boat, it was stable as a rock. When I hit the throttle to head for shore to clean the fish, the bow jumped up quickly with the extra 250 lbs on it.

There are two aspects I will have to learn to deal with, however. The full stand-up canopy is great protection form the wind---- but its a big sail that makes using the kicker difficult . Also, at 4000RPM there was an annoying resonance from the aluminum hull. It disappeared at 4400RPM.

I head back to Hardy on the 15th to see what other mischief I can get into!!

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Hey CL, back to it on the 15th eh, your heart rate and sore muscles should be down to normal by then...... :D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

So if I change my name to some sort of cocktail (especially one with rum), I can expect a giant fish the next time I'm in Hardy? :D

Nice fish. Photo?

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Not sure if the name change will help-- but a good excuse for a drink!! OBD posted a Photobucket link on Page 1 showing the fish.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:So if I change my name to some sort of cocktail (especially one with rum), I can expect a giant fish the next time I'm in Hardy?

Strawberry Daiquiri?

Hey SeaWolf, may I suggest "Shirley Temple"...:D:D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Back