Fish of a lifetime!!!! Got to love Port Hardy!

Cuba Libre

Well the objective was to get sammie blood and halibut slime on my new Alumaweld. It was my first "real" trip of the year. My regular partner couldnt make the trip for medical reasons so a friend from the mainland jumped aboard.

First thing we heard when we got into Quatse was how slow the salmon fishng was-- sure a 31 was taken at Duval and a pair of 20s at Castle, but not the great reports of the past that made me want to chase salmon. Instead we chose to chase butts and lings.

We started out in the Walker group and slowly moved north as the tide speed permitted. Even the bottom fishig was slow-- a snapper, a coupe of undersized lings then WHAM!!!!! A REALLY nice butt. The IPHC length-weigh table gave the fish a weight of 90 lbs. We high-fived and knew that fish made our trip, even if we came up with nothing else. A few Cuba Libres went down the hatch at the campsite that night. Talking to other experienced fishermen in the camp, backed up our decision to chase butts rather than salmon. A few chinooks taken but slow. ( with one exception-- limits on one charter boat-- Was that you Serengetti??!!!)

Next morning out to a FANTASTIC day!! Calm, bright and little tidr change. Off we went to the same area as yesterday-- but nothiong other than a few rockies.

Decided to head for area 11 to look for lings. But on the way up I noticed a pinacle that I had not fished-- shallow top-- deep all around... smelled of lings. By buddy dropped a Berkley Powerbait grub on a jighead. Before to long YAHOO!!!!! 30lb ling hit the deck!
Next came a smaller ling, about 8 lbs. Now things were improving!!![8D]

It was a rocky bottom and we hung up frequently. But the next time I hung up-- it was different!!! I whaled on the rod once to get the hook-up off-- nada. I hit it again!!!! Well that did it-- the bottom moved!!!! It pealed 150 ft of line and them went back to the bottom. After some more not so subtle coaxing it took off again and headed for deep water! Then the work started-- I would gain 40ft, the fish would take 80 ft!!! Back and forth for close to 45 min.

The Daiwa Sealine reel of mine started naking some very unhealthy noises!!! The to make matters worse-- the fish mananged to hang the cannon ball on the spreaderbar on the bottom!! I thought she was gone for sure. We had to reverse the boat back over the fish to get it moving again.

Well while that fish put a beating on me-- I finally got her into harpoon range. My partner made as good effort and nailed her in the gills.. Then the water erupted!!!!! We got soaked!. When the fish calmed down, I maanaged to flatten out the head with my ironwood fish bonker!!!.

But now what???? The thing was huge!! How do you get it into the open boat of the aluminum boat---??? Well with a lot of straining and grunting!

We bled and hogtied the fish, and covered it with seaweed to keep it cool. My partner got through on the cel to my bud at home an dasked him to check the halibut weight-lenght chart onthe internet. This fish was 7ft, 6 inches long!!! or-- converted to lbs...240 lbs!!!! Yes- truely a fish of a lifetime.

We ran back to Port Elizabeth to a shingle beach where we dragged it up to the logs at tide height. We put together dismemberment table from the logs and cut the fish into fillets (8) and ten into the large cooler we were carrying.

That night at the campsite I must admit that I somewhat "over indulged" in the nectar of the cane. As luck would have it-- the next day we got nothing bigger than 10lbs... but we all ready had a years supply of halibut for three families!! Life is good.

Oh! Forgot one other thing, anyone who starts the nonsense that "I wouldnt keep a big female like that!" Can eat my shorts!!!!!:D:D:D[^]

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Fabulous story and Congratulations on the hawg!

imgp0742mj2.th.jpg

Wow! Congrats on your monster! Have you ever had a hali like that before? Doesn't that scare the sh...t out of you when you see it beside the boat? I'd be happy with half that size! I guess I will start smoking cigars!

Pics to follow-- sorry for the spelling mistakes, but the board wont let me edit!!

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Congrats CL!!
Between you getting 240#s worth of hali and serengeti getting that 50# spring I'm just about ready to quite my job and get going:D. Just 4 more weeks.....
So... that pinacle of yours got a name?[8D][8D][8D]

Cuba...I'm pretty sure I may know which pinnacle you are talking about...although it may be a bit doubtful as there are thousands...if I know which way you were headed up to 11...there is one I have in mind.

Glad you nailed em. We'll have to hook up next time your up...couldn't quite make you out when you called.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Hey Cuba, I was having the dilemma over the big hali myself, keep it or release it. Let me know how it tastes cause I think I'll be using the harpoon(which I've never used). Right on, really nice fish!!

Great story, Port Hardy can be fantastic 2 years ago I got a 74 inch Hali one day and a 73 incher the next, it made for lots of good fish and chips. Too bad so many of they guides up there dislike the private boats there have been a couple of notible exceptions who are truly helpful to others and I don't need to tell you who they post here regularly and will get any referals I give out.

This year I want the Big King

A little less than 4 weeks and I will be there

Awesome CA, I mean CL. you deserve that one, that new boat of yours sounds like a fish magnet, I'm heading up to Hardy tommorrow morning, if all goes good be fishing early afternoon, have a good time eating your fish

Hey OBD-- Many thanks for the pic posting... dinner is coming over soon!! :D

Takedown ses:
quote:Great story, Port Hardy can be fantastic 2 years ago I got a 74 inch Hali one day and a 73 incher the next, it made for lots of good fish and chips. Too bad so many of they guides up there dislike the private boats there have been a couple of notible exceptions who are truly helpful to others and I don't need to tell you who they post here regularly and will get any referals I give out.

Now thats a story that needs telling!!!! Where were you fishing? And the "lure de jour" ???? I have pretty much switched over to Berkley Power baits for bottomfish ( but I pack some large herring for back-up ;))

As far as the guide thing, There are a few that seem to be bothered by non-guided fishermen. But I am sure you will admit that some people are so damn dumb ( and dangerous) that there might be reason. What bugs some guides is the "sheep factor" where a guide boat is followed around all day so that guys can gather GPS coodinates. Must admit that I might have some comments too!!!!:D

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Way to go CA...although, I was thinking of some sour grape expletives...Stuck working in southern Alberia but living vacariously till I get home....Nice pictures...any relation to that Obama-bin- Hopper guy..seems to look like a familiar pose????

boc

Nicely done Bryan!!!!!

Congrats on your trophy fish!!!! Once in a life time??? You still have a lot of life left, maybe on the 16th we can duplicate it HaHaHa!!!!

Cheers

SS

Fishing001.jpg

Hey Paul-- nope ,no relation.. guess we both just like lying down on the job!!!!:D ( or was that collapsing from fatigue!!??)

Ken-- I have a secret spot that no more than 50 guides and others know about---- keep you fingers crossed that the big mama has a sister with your name on it!!! :D

( Geeze- sudden flash!!! Is this my 15 min of fame????? ;))

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

BTW....

if you check my previous posts, you will find that my friends and I all agree to release anything above about 70/lbs, but I have to admit... I would keep that one... It is "A Fish of a lifetime!!!!"

And you don't have to kiss my *ss! LOL
Good Job!!!

Back