First overnight trip - help and advice appreciated please

the butcher

Have owned my boat for 2 years and I am ashamed to say I haven't done any overnight trips.... main reason is due to lack of time and not making an active effort to plan it out... In a few weeks will be taking the 19ft boat out for 3-4 days. Very nervous and anxious about it to be honest. Have a couple of questions I hope you seasoned veterans can help me to make the first overnight trip with my kids more to be enjoyable..

1) When anchoring in a bay overnight, do I need to set 2 anchors? One in the bow and one at the stern or does 1 well set anchor with enough rode and chain suffice?
2) Should I leave my outboard motor hanging in the water overnight and when not in use or should I raise prop out of the water? Have heard both sides.. one where they say trim prop and lower unit out of water to keep away from saltwater... other side says that when you do that it now exposes your leg and lower unit to more oxygen which speeds up any buildup in your passages. I accustomed to rinsing my motor off on muffs each and every time I am done fishing so what to do when you are on the salt for a few days in completely new to me.
3) I have a lowrance HDS carbon... I know there is a anchor drag alarm on it. Would having the anchor drag alarm set overnight drain a lot of the battery?
4) When in bays, if I see a mooring buoy that isn't in use, is it OK for me to use it or is it a NO NO to use an unused mooring buoy because it does not belong to me. Like I said, never did overnight stays in bays so don't know what the rules of the road are on this topic.
5) We were planning a trip to the gulf islands.. when anchored overnight in the bays, are you usually eaten alive by mosquitos in the evening? Trying to figure out whether we need to rig up a mosquito net or bring tons of repellent..
6) If you have any other suggestions or advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Have owned my boat for 2 years and I am ashamed to say I haven't done any overnight trips.... main reason is due to lack of time and not making an active effort to plan it out... In a few weeks will be taking the 19ft boat out for 3-4 days. Very nervous and anxious about it to be honest. Have a couple of questions I hope you seasoned veterans can help me to make the first overnight trip with my kids more to be enjoyable..

1) When anchoring in a bay overnight, do I need to set 2 anchors? One in the bow and one at the stern or does 1 well set anchor with enough rode and chain suffice?
2) Should I leave my outboard motor hanging in the water overnight and when not in use or should I raise prop out of the water? Have heard both sides.. one where they say trim prop and lower unit out of water to keep away from saltwater... other side says that when you do that it now exposes your leg and lower unit to more oxygen which speeds up any buildup in your passages. I accustomed to rinsing my motor off on muffs each and every time I am done fishing so what to do when you are on the salt for a few days in completely new to me.
3) I have a lowrance HDS carbon... I know there is a anchor drag alarm on it. Would having the anchor drag alarm set overnight drain a lot of the battery?
4) When in bays, if I see a mooring buoy that isn't in use, is it OK for me to use it or is it a NO NO to use an unused mooring buoy because it does not belong to me. Like I said, never did overnight stays in bays so don't know what the rules of the road are on this topic.
5) We were planning a trip to the gulf islands.. when anchored overnight in the bays, are you usually eaten alive by mosquitos in the evening? Trying to figure out whether we need to rig up a mosquito net or bring tons of repellent..

Thanks
Oh man you're in deep ***** lol. Kidding, this is so exciting!! I only starting doing overnight trips about 6 years ago and in a 24 foot boat. You're a brave man starting in the 19 with kids.
1. You should start with a marine park or harbor with mooring balls. Montague is great for this. Secure balls so one less thing to worry about. If you end up anchoring in a tight bay then a stern tie is important. Keeps your butt in place and your anchor set. They're a must in most parks or marked anchorages. You'll need a tender (kayak?) To get to shore. We could start a whole thread on stern ties but get yourself a 400' roll of floating line and a way to reel it in neatly. You want to tie it through the point on shore and back to the boat and cleat it off so its an easy unhook when you need to go.
2. Your engine is fine. Keep it wet and flush it when you pull the boat after the trip. Three days is nothing.
3. Don't start by needing an anchor alarm. If the weather sucks go find a dock.
4. DO NOT USE OTHER PEOPLE'S BALLS. I ended up on the rocks at 4 AM once at lesquiti. "Yeah this should hold us. What could possibly go wrong?"
5. Yes the mosquitos are real. We use those coils and find they work well enough. It's really only at dusk when they're out of control though. We hide inside like a bunch of city kids.
6a. Start looking at your Navionics now. Every bay and anchorage has reviews and info for what to do and what to avoid. Amazing resource. Try and plan a few options before you head out. When we're out I'm usually on the tablet every night looking up what's next. Download the maps in case you lose reception.
6b. Wind can change over night. Don't take chances with anchoring if you're not comfortable with it yet. Most marinas will get you a spot rafted up to someone if things get scary for you.
6c. Expect sleepless nights.
6d. Freeze large jugs of water for ice. Drink the water. Profit.

My advice, take it for what it’s worth…

1. If anchoring, give yourself as much scope as you comfortably can. 3:1 is a good starting point. More is always better, but watch how other boats are sitting and allow for lots of swing room. If you can anchor and rig a shoreline around a tree, that gives good peace of mind.

2. It’s natural to be anxious if you haven’t done it much. It helps to not have a rigid plan. Let the kids dictate your agenda. If you’re going to fish, only do it as long as they want to. If they want to explore a beach or swim off the boat, go with that. Happy kids and no concrete plan you feel you have to adhere to will allow you to feel more relaxed.

3. Let the weather guide you. Don’t push the envelope so the family gets uncomfortable. Don’t go out of your comfort zone and challenge bad weather to meet a time schedule. There is nothing that can’t wait for safe weather.

4. Live in the moment. Enjoy the sights, sounds and solitude. Don’t sweat the details. We are so incredibly fortunate to have this ocean playground within reach. You’re sure to have a few hiccups but they needn’t spoil your trip.

We just did a 4 day trip to Princess Louisa Inlet two weeks ago, in our 17’ Hourston, camping on shore. So much fun. Here’s a few pics that hopefully inspire you. If a clown like me can do it, you’ll be fine.

Attachments

• 071B5D51-FBF5-48CD-9CE3-86CDD259E7BA.jpeg
    071B5D51-FBF5-48CD-9CE3-86CDD259E7BA.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 94963904-10F7-4ABC-AC43-A570A132C3AA.jpeg
    94963904-10F7-4ABC-AC43-A570A132C3AA.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 70F4CDFA-2AC7-44CF-AA64-5CA72C836511.jpeg
    70F4CDFA-2AC7-44CF-AA64-5CA72C836511.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 65A60ABB-4A0C-4C6F-BDB6-410CB862EFF0.jpeg
    65A60ABB-4A0C-4C6F-BDB6-410CB862EFF0.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 08EE6B5E-C5EC-4BF1-8987-8FB5B0A7541E.jpeg
    08EE6B5E-C5EC-4BF1-8987-8FB5B0A7541E.jpeg
    525.9 KB · Views: 176
start finding moorage with PLENTY of light. don’t push your luck. you will feel way better about things setting anchors in the daylight. you can set a second anchor but it’s hard to do alone; usually pay out the bow anchor in reverse , drop the stern and heaps of rope. drive forward and retrieve bow then tighten up the stern . like i said easier with a capable deckhand or oldest child.

earplugs

warmth

snacks

I’ve anchored lots over the years and have never used a stern line, or the proper scope, now I’m nervous lol. I usually always choose a pretty shallow bay in like 20 to 30 feet of water, got a good set and then checked the tide swing and made sure I wouldn’t end up grounded and had enough line to allow for rising tide. I’d choose a spot with mooring balls as others have said and access to a dock to get on land if possible. 19 seems a bit tight for a fully family for an extended time. New Castle island off Nanaimo would be a good spot as it has dock moorage with washrooms and the island is pretty cool yo explore, there are also mooring balls and Nanaimo water front is right there also to grab lunch or dinner, ice cream. The water front has a huge park within walking for the kids. Could be fun. Not familiar with other spots in the gulf islands but we always preferred new castle over Silva bay

Most important thing is you have a quality anchor setup sizing your anchor a little on the bigger side, 1/2” quality rode 150’ or more and I like double boat length for chain and on the heavier side as this is what really works to keep the anchor in place. Getting a good setup will bring you peace of mind.

as mentioned using someone else’s mooring is a no no..

I prefer to keep my leg raised when on anchor or a mooring but often leave it in at a marina overnight to help save dock space..

a stern anchor will likely be needed when your in a marine park or smaller bay and would be good to have but you won’t always need it.

don’t forget to leave your anchor light on in higher traffic areas, the dollar store landscape lights in a rod holder or somewhere on the boat work well for this if you don’t have one.

start finding moorage with PLENTY of light. don’t push your luck. you will feel way better about things setting anchors in the daylight. you can set a second anchor but it’s hard to do alone; usually pay out the bow anchor in reverse , drop the stern and heaps of rope. drive forward and retrieve bow then tighten up the stern . like i said easier with a capable deckhand or oldest child.

earplugs

warmth

snacks
Earplugs 100%.

To add, I was always concerned about having enough scope and I think I’m usually pretty close as I have 35 feet of chain for my 24 foot boat with that and some rope out in shallow water think I’m usually there, point is I’ve never had an issue. Last year I upgraded anchors to rocna and that’s been a game changer as I always just had the danforth.

Oh I almost forgot as I guess I’ve blocked it out, I did have an issue last weekend when we decided to go out for an overnight from French creek to our anchor spot over by lasquieti and texada. Well we launched the boat at the marina and it was still big south east rollers so we scratched the crossing over and just fished out front and it was epic fishing. We wanted to get the early bite as I knew there was no getting back out early with the family if we trailered home. Water died off so we anchored off Qualicum beach, about 10 pm the wind kicked up and there was now a wind warning as opposed to light forecast, up comes the anchor and we decide to just sleep in the parking lot at French creek and still get the early bite. Well aside from me not being able to sleep cause it’s like day time with the parking lot lights, some cracked out person try’s jumping on the boat at 1am so then there was no sleeping. We got out for the early bite but the fish weren’t biting that’s fir sure. Not really sure the point of my super long story other then I’m sure you’ll be fine and it’s always an adventure oh and don’t anchor in the open straight

Last edited:
Oh I almost forgot as I guess I’ve blocked it out, I did have an issue last weekend when we decided to go out for an overnight from French creek to our anchor spot over by lasquieti and texada. Well we launched the boat at the marina and it was still big south east rollers so we scratched the crossing over and just fished out front and it was epic fishing. We wanted to get the early bite as I knew there was no getting back out early with the family if we trailered home. Water died off so we anchored off Qualicum beach, about 10 pm the wind kicked up and there was now a wind warning as opposed to light forecast, up comes the anchor and we decide to just sleep in the parking lot at French creek and still get the early bite. Well aside from me not being able to sleep cause it’s like day time with the parking lot lights, some cracked out person try’s jumping on the boat at 1am so then there was no sleeping. We got out for the early bite but the fish weren’t biting that’s fir sure. Not really sure the point of my super long story other then I’m sure you’ll be fine and it’s always an adventure oh and don’t anchor in the open straight
the earplugs would have helped for mr cracker as well

Thanks
Some great advice here.

Where are you heading out of?

Not sure I would want to use an additional stern anchor unless it was in a very sheltered location, as I would want the boat to swing and face into the wind and waves for maximum safety should the wind change direction and increase. There are books with info. on how to anchor for storms, including multiple anchor set-ups.
That said, many years back with my deep fixed keel 20 foot sail boat there was a well sheltered small bay anchorage on a smaller island off Victoria with a deep rocky semi cliff face. It was possible to throw an anchor out the stern and place the bow right up against the shore and still be in very deep water, step off onto the rocks, tie off the bow line to a large rock point, then back the boat off from the shore a little by pulling on the stern anchor line so that the tide going down would not be a threat to the bow. Only did this in the summer with a good stable low wind high pressure zone weather situation, but it worked like a charm, no tender necessary. You could just pull the boat forward, to step off if you wanted to go a shore and when you let go the little spring in the stern nylon anchor rod would pull the boat out a little to safe distance. Others eventually caught on to this, so if that spot was taken we had to bow anchor and blow up the small inflatable tender raft to row a shore.

Last edited:
great advice everyone.... really appreciate it. Heading out of mcdonald beach and will do a 3 or 4 day outting in the gulf islands...havent planned area or specifics yet. just getting everything organized.
If this is kind of your first trip would forgo the anchor and use wharfs or buoys. Since your going with family here are a few of our favorites.
- Ganges Harbour. Stay at Kanaka Government wharf or Ganges Marina. Lots to see and do 2 blocks from the wharf. If you can, be there for the Saturday Market. Barbs buns for coffee and treats
- Montague Harbour. If room you can stay on the wharf or use the 30 or so mooring buoys. The midden beach is beautiful and a great place to swim and watch the sunset. You can also take the pub bus from the Harbour lots of fun and an adventure on its own
- Sidney spit. Again if room you can stay on the wharf or use the 30 or so mooring buoys. Beach is beautiful on a low tide and lots of walking paths. Great for kids

I recommend getting to your destination mid afternoon as both wharfs and buoys will fill up especially on a weekend

One more suggestion: Prepare a trip plan and leave a copy with a reliable person. Check out with your reliable person when leaving and check back in on your return. Ideally a friend or relative who is also a boater.

If this is kind of your first trip would forgo the anchor and use wharfs or buoys. Since your going with family here are a few of our favorites.
- Ganges Harbour. Stay at Kanaka Government wharf or Ganges Marina. Lots to see and do 2 blocks from the wharf. If you can, be there for the Saturday Market. Barbs buns for coffee and treats
- Montague Harbour. If room you can stay on the wharf or use the 30 or so mooring buoys. The midden beach is beautiful and a great place to swim and watch the sunset. You can also take the pub bus from the Harbour lots of fun and an adventure on its own
- Sidney spit. Again if room you can stay on the wharf or use the 30 or so mooring buoys. Beach is beautiful on a low tide and lots of walking paths. Great for kids

I recommend getting to your destination mid afternoon as both wharfs and buoys will fill up especially on a weekend
good advice. where do you pay for using the gov wharf and are the buoys at thosen sites you mentioned reliable?

good advice. where do you pay for using the gov wharf and are the buoys at thosen sites you mentioned reliable?
The buoys are free until about 6pm when the parks folks will come by via dinghy.
The wharfs have drop boxes at end of wharf. Its $15 or $20 a night.

If you go to government wharf in Ganges you get 2 hours for free and then they will come by or drop box,. for my 32 footer its like $35.
Its empty there right now!

The wharfs allow your family to come and go and not feel stuck on the boat. Plus set up some chairs on the wharf.
Ganges will have power and water.

Back