first choice in downrigger braid

Jencourt

With most of us running braid for a number of years now, I will see what the consensus is? I am about to re-spool and would like to hear from you all what you think the braid of choice is.

Blow back or lack of is important as we tend to fish deep lots of the time. As well as test. so test,brand and reasons for liking it is what I am looking for.

Thanks for the feed back

Ray

PS: We run 15lb balls.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should mention what weight cannon balls you regularly use.

I run 12's and/or 15's and am happy with power pro 150#

yup 200lb power pro is what you want to minimize blowback and still be plenty strong. durable stuff too, lasts a long time without rotting. scotty braid is almost like rope in comparison.

I use power pro 200 using 15lb balls on 1106,s. I regularly fish 200+ ft and do bounce bottom. I wouldn't say I'm a 100% on the stuff because I have had a few unexplained breaks-so I am always interested in other results. Usually the breaks don't occur during hi-risk activities but rather unexpectedly. I understand about the pulleys being smooth and smooth prop guards-I just feel there should be or could be something better. Hoping!!-still better than stainless IMO

Like most so far power pro 200, in the 450' length it gives you some room to cut and retie if needed. Tried the scotty one didn't like it much.

Power-Pro all the way.

Scotty:- way too much blowback.....at times more blowback than wire.

Scotty all the way 200lbs I like the 250 but a lot if blow back when fishing deep

I like the Scotty Braid line and not that PP. Have use it for now for 3-yrs......... NO Worries.....

Jerry Brown 200lb non-hollow braid. Great stuff. Ran Power Pro for years but I like the JB better.

I am curious why people run such heavy braid??

I ran 130 Tuff XT off my Scottys and never had a problem. Ran 12 and 15's both inside and off Winter Harbour and never had a ball break off. Ran the Scotty rubber snubber between the ball and braid, which I believe breaks at around 75 lb, so if I hung up (only once), that is what broke.

Cheers

SS

Does the small diameter braid affect the line counter on a Manual down rigger ? I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the small diameter braid affect the line counter on a Manual down rigger ? I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I loaded with 500' of 150power pro. Seems to keep it the same as the cable side.
Not sold on braid yet, still have cable on the other side.

I fish well over 200' most days(20lb balls)I don't find the blow back to be a problem.I put in over a hundred days a year and find very little wear & tear on the scotty line.

Thanks I think I'm switching to Scotty then I've lost too many balls with PP

I run three riggers, back one has the indestructible Scotty 250lb braid, my two side riggers are 250lb power pro. Went to 250lb vs 200lb pp a few years back, lost too many 15lb balls on the 200lb pp. 250lb is much better and for the price of balls, I can live with a little more blowback.

Back