Ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy

Prawn Star

I am going to Alberta this summer and want to return via Rupert to Hardy. Can someone school me on this please. I know the ferry is expensive and I will be towing a 30ft TT. Also if anyone has a contact in Rupert that I could go do some bottom fishing with it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I took the ferry from PH to PR last June.
I booked a room, well worth the extra money.
It had an enclosed bathroom/shower and four beds, bunk bed style.

I loved it. Food is so/so, much of the usual ferry experience. But I loved being out on the top deck at night.
I also had good weather, so it was not a pukatorium, which I have heard horror stories of.
You are allowed to the vehicle deck every few hours to check on Fido, get more beer, whatever.

I did it once and it was great, we got a room but you will need a pair of ear plugs. I don't know where we were on the ship in relation to the engines but it was loud.

We did it last july - PR to Hardy.
Spectacular scenery, but spendy - we were on motorbikes and IIRC, it was still over $350.
Was on the Northern something (Expedition, Adventure, Queen of Much Needed Repair, can't remember which) early morning (5am told to be in line, 7am departure) and you don't get into Hardy until just after 11pm.
On that boat there was big comfy seats with floor to ceiling windows - the cabins seemed to only have one small window, so based on that alone, I wouldn't bother with the cabin.
Basic ferry food, but they did have a BBq on the back deck for lunch as well as a couple extras for dinner.
Travelling down Grenville channel you are almost literally meters from the beach.
However, we (and seemed like everyone else as well) reached a bit of a breaking point ~8pm - by then it was dark, you'd been on the boat for a long time, and it was time for it to be over, so arrival in Hardy was a bit of a relief. You get in late so unless you can sleep in the truck, a hotel that night is necessary.
We had good weather as well, only a bit of swell when you reached the open ocean, so no issues there.

Back