ethanol free gas stations

sako79

ive been having some fuel related problems with my new 9.9hp outboard. already had a new carb replaced on it. i run stabilizer in all my gas, but after 3-6 weeks of sitting my outboard takes alot of pulls to start. some people have recommended ethanol free gas. so im going to try it. cheveron 94 octane has no ethanol, does any other gas stations have it. i tried that list and it seems outdated. went to 2 places on it and it doesnt carry it. i did fill up at the chevron by the patulla bridge and they are $1.379 perliter for 94 octane. can you post the prices on 94 octane in the area u live

ive tried gasbuddy but it seems the premium on there is 91 octane

Wow, that's expensive in comparison to what I pay.

I always burn 94 in my Honda.... it's 116.9 here in Victoria.

Ethanol blend fuel will not cause a hard to start problem. You have another issue. Possibly the fuel is draining out of the carb while sitting or weak spark.

i run the the engine till it dies after i pull the fuel line off. so the carb is empty until i pump it in again

i run the the engine till it dies after i pull the fuel line off. so the carb is empty until i pump it in again

That may be your problem. Most outboards use a diagram type fuel pump. When you squeeze the primer ball you are just pressurizing to the pump. The carb will still be empty until you pull enough times for the pump to fill the bowl. Pretty sure I'm correct here but you should dbl check.

That may be your problem. Most outboards use a diagram type fuel pump. When you squeeze the primer ball you are just pressurizing to the pump. The carb will still be empty until you pull enough times for the pump to fill the bowl. Pretty sure I'm correct here but you should dbl check.

that might be true. isnt a good idea to run the carb dry. ive done it with all my motors and they start right away next time

I started my outboard up today with 94 octane. It started up right away. it idles a lot smoother and it has quicker throttle response overall it seems to be running nicer. only way to test it out really is take it out on the water and see how it performs

Last edited by a moderator:
You could be right, for the last few years I just run my motors for 15 minutes with fuel stabilizer and shut them down for 3-4 months. Has worked fine for me.

As others have said, ethanol may not be the problem but as an FYI Shell Gold is ethanol free according to the Shell website. I believe it's also 91 octane not that the 9.9 needs it.

Back