Espranza Inlet/Nootka Sound fishing report & forecast

Welcome aboard John-hope we can get some regular reports from your area throughout the summer. Tight Lines!!

Yes! Thanks to the large chinook returns projected for the Columbia, this should be an awesome year for chinook fishing up and down the W side of Vancouver Island and the entire WA coast. Last year was my best chinook year ever and I plan on doing even better this year.

Look forward to your reports John. Would be most interested in what's happening in the Spring and Sept as we all know the place is hot in July/Aug.

Thanks Spring Fever Yes my intent is to do regular report on Nootka/Esperanza fishing. The Marina will reopening on Friday March 14th for those early season prawn, Halibut & winter spring fishers. We will have fuel, Bait, tackle, moorage, logging, coffee & beer for the opening. Hali should right in the mouth off Esperanza inlet feeding on spawning Herring in the Rosa Harbor area. Prawning will be good in all the usual places- Tahsis & Hisnit Inlets. Winter Spring will be stacked up in Hecate channel & in the Marvinus area. Most all the fishing in March & April is inside the inlets in protected waters. Fish On John

Yes- the USA Columbia river hatchery programs have many benefits for West Coast Vancouver Island (WCVI) fishers. 80% of the winter spring being catch right NOW in Esperanza Inlet & Nootka Sound are hatchery fin clipped fish. Since we mark very few Chinook in our Canadian hatchery systems. Logic tells us that these scrappy 8-18lb Chinook, that are found in good numbers, are from the USA. But, there is proof, in mid March each year we plug in DFOs head collection freezer at the Marina. The results are impressive. 2012 & 2013 March 15-May31 96% of the marked Chinook where from the states. We are not talking about just a few head samples here. Each of the past two yrs. DFO has collected thousands heads in their collection program in Esperanza & Nootka area. Yes the USA increase in it's hatchery produced salmon has/will have a very positive effect on the number of fish we catch.

That confirms what we have always been told. Good to hear the data supports it. Given the Gold River parking lot at the launch in July/Aug is populated 50% by WA fishers, sounds like both our American counterparts and us Canadians are benefitting from the exceptional US program. I thank our great neighbors to the South.

That confirms what we have always been told. Good to hear the data supports it. Given the Gold River parking lot at the launch in July/Aug is populated 50% by WA fishers, sounds like both our American counterparts and us Canadians are benefitting from the exceptional US program. I thank our great neighbors to the South.

Well said, and thank you John for your time.

Pescador You are 100% correct when the Conuma River run comes in July/Aug Esperanza & Nootka are on fire.
Because the weather has been so good lately lots of people are getting out on the water for winter Spring. Good reports are coming in from Hecate Channel & Center Is./Esperanza & Burdwood & Marvenus Bay/Nootka. 6-14lbs growing daily.

Yes the USA increase in it's hatchery produced salmon has/will have a very positive effect on the number of fish we catch.

hatchery releases are not increasing, quite the opposite is happening. as a result of hatchery reform, the numbers of smolt being released are decreasing in numbers. the projected return rate for the Columbia looks good for this year but it is not based on more smolt being released. in the following years, you should expect fewer and fewer hatchery releases from US hatcheries.

hatchery releases are not increasing, quite the opposite is happening. as a result of hatchery reform, the numbers of smolt being released are decreasing in numbers. the projected return rate for the Columbia looks good for this year but it is not based on more smolt being released. in the following years, you should expect fewer and fewer hatchery releases from US hatcheries.
Take one year at a time-I will be happy if it is the same as last year-ecstatic if it's better. I've been salmon fishing for over 40 years even in the bad years such as 2008 if you knew what you were doing-it works out. So much goes into salmon returns-sure I'm happy when a good return is predicted but you can't eat predictions-so sharpen some hooks boys and lets get at her!!!

reelfast Thanks for your input. The hatchery programs in the USA have(over the past 3yrs.) definitely had a very positive effect on our Canadian -West Coast Vancouver island- (WCVI) increase in salmon catch. The number of salmon returning to those same USA rivers this year are projected by US Fishery Departments to be the highest ever this year. Therefore there WILL be a continuing positive effect on number of salmon caught off WCVI this up coming season.
I get your point, with the hatchery reform, much more efforts & resources are going into habitat rehabilitation and bring under control those activities which damage habitat. Which if that works out, will continue producing strong runs of salmon. We applaud those efforts & wish them success.

Back