Nootka/Esperanza winter fishing

NOOTKA BOUND

Hey everyone. I am thinking of getting away for a couple long weekends this winter and fishing out nootka/esperanza way. Ive grown up fishing out there but it has only been in the summer months. Thinking of going out there for a little camp and fish. I have a 24' nwac that is fully capable in most water conditions. I was wondering if any of you have fished out this way during the winter. I dont expect good fishing, we are mostly going just to get out there and enjoy the scenery, Any bites are a bonus. Wondering how the fishing is and how the waters are this time of year. I usually leave from Gold River and make the treck by boat to Esperanza. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_20210124_094325_903.jpgPicture of my boat for attention.

All I can say is that I wish like hell I could join you! Stuck on the wrong side of the border and really missing my trips north!
Good luck and be safe!

All I can say is that I wish like hell I could join you! Stuck on the wrong side of the border and really missing my trips north!
Good luck and be safe!
Haha ya I bet. Ive been pretty spoilt to live to close to these beautiful areas

Dunno about Nootka sound but Barkley & Clayoquot have Herring spawns around this time of year that draw Chinook.

Mooyah Bay looks similar in structure to some Barkley sound winter spots.

Hey everyone. I am thinking of getting away for a couple long weekends this winter and fishing out nootka/esperanza way. Ive grown up fishing out there but it has only been in the summer months. Thinking of going out there for a little camp and fish. I have a 24' nwac that is fully capable in most water conditions. I was wondering if any of you have fished out this way during the winter. I dont expect good fishing, we are mostly going just to get out there and enjoy the scenery, Any bites are a bonus. Wondering how the fishing is and how the waters are this time of year. I usually leave from Gold River and make the treck by boat to Esperanza. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

View attachment 61277Picture of my boat for attention.

Dunno about Nootka sound but Barkley & Clayoquot have Herring spawns around this time of year that draw Chinook.

Mooyah Bay looks similar in structure to some Barkley sound winter spots.
Nootka and Esperanza also have some herring spawns, some bigger springs might follow them in, otherwise there is always winter spring fishing, garden point area is usually pretty productive for them. The spawn does bring the halibut in closer as well. Port Eliza Lodge has a caretaker in the winter, so is available to moor your boat or rent a room. You can use the kitchen for cooking meals. Just drop me a line if anyone is wanting to go out there.

Robert

Back