Epic Family Adventure

K

Kennedy

Well I have finally convinced the wife to go back to Vancouver Island! We are from Oklahoma and my wife and I fished in Ucluelet in July about 5 years ago in the sound.... I am a flat water fisherman.....Went off shore puked alot then found the salmon when we went back into the sound! Caught a limit of Chinook and was hooked! We will be back August 7 through August 14 bringing the whole family 12yr, 11yr and 6yr. We have rented a house in Crofton and have access to the beach. Looking to go salmon fishing (any species) on two days.... 4 to 5 hour trips... maybe one morning and one evening Would prefer not to drive all the way to Ucluelet or Tofino since we have the house rented. What would you recommend? East side of the island or Sooke....Renfrew...Will Port Alberni be an option by then? Want to make this a positive experience for the kids..... ie no long drives or rough water:) Thanks for all the help we are pumped!

We will be bringing spinning gear for smallmouth bass. What would you recommend for DIY freshwater spot close to Crofton?

Bass:- Elk Lake and Shawnigan Lake aren't too far from where you'd be.....little bit of a drive.

You are talking charters for salmon, right?

There's a shortcut to Renfrew from north end of Duncan.

Sooke you get Pinks, Coho and Chinooks.

Nanaimo always seems to produce....Coho, Chinooks and probably some Pinks around when you come.

East Coast of V.I. is very good for Coho this year......but there are some nice Chinook around as well.

Port Alberni they are closing off Chinook fishing in the Inlet Aug 1st...and there will be no Chinook derby this year, only Coho.

Best bang for the salmon buck with kids:-....I would be looking at Sooke.

Excellent advice! any advice on guides out of Nanaimo or Sooke? Is Nanaimo flat water?

You're also not far from Victoria. Lots of Charters that run out of the Inner Harbour. At that time of year, opportunities to get Chinook, Coho and Pinks or even Halibut if it's still open. This being an odd numbered year will see tons of Pinks off the Victoria waterfront -- your kids will have a ball. The Victoria option gives you lots to do for the balance of the day in terms of sites to see, restaurants etc...

Our site sponsor has a number of guides that go out of the Inner Harbour: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/saltwater/index.html?Lodges-Guides-1

Me... August 7 through August 14, during that timeframe I certainly would make that drive to Port Renfrew and would be looking and hooking up with a couple of guys on this forum named of Last Chance and No Bananas! Go very early in the morning, have them set their crab pots, and on a good day have your limits before 8:00am. That is usually the best bite and it is also usually like glass that early!

Me... August 7 through August 14, during that timeframe I certainly would make that drive to Port Renfrew and would be looking and hooking up with a couple of guys on this forum named of Last Chance and No Bananas! Go very early in the morning, have them set their crab pots, and on a good day have your limits before 8:00am. That is usually the best bite and it is also usually like glass that early!

Good point Charlie, that Lake Cowichan road is pretty good all the way now.
maybe 1-1/2 hours drive ?

Ya renfrew is great but defiantly not flat water even if there is no winds there are always rollers and the guides will take you offshore so if you get sea sick don't go

Mid Aug the pink in front of Victoria/Sooke will be everywhere. Go to Pedder Bay Marina and rent a boat for a day. They come with all the gear and go and catch pinks, cohos and maybe some springs yourself with your kids. You don't even need downrigger for the pinks - let the kids cast for them and jig them - your kids will have the time of their life!

I would be headed to Sooke or Vic at that time. Port Renfrew is a bit of a drive (A Beautiful One). Maybe give Bluewolf Charters a try or some of the other well know Sooke guides.
The numbers of pinks out there im sure they might even get you set up tossing somthing on your Bass gear and nailing into a few smaller salmon. That would be a hoot!

-KK

If you are from Oklahoma......going to Renfrew through Duncan/Cowichan would be first leg of journey....and then if you have time, come back down the west van isle coast route through Jordan River and then Sooke then Victoria then back up to Crofton......very scenic that way with lots of parks and beaches to stop at near Jordan River down to Sooke.

Also over near Renfrew there is Botanical Beach.......very good at low tide for tide-pool scrutiny....nothing like that in Oklahoma.......:).......I think you and the kids would love it....

Back