Elk/Beaver Lake

I caught a 12 lb carp at elk about three weeks ago dragging a wooly bugger in fifteen feet of water near the rowing club. Great fight on my five weight. I've personally seen two other carp caught there in the last couple of years. One was a friend of mine trolling a rapala by the wall on the highway side. The other took power bait off the bottom at the gap between the lakes. Those were 21 and 17 lbs respectively. So they are definitely there.

Did you beach him? No need to have those things feeding on the trout.

Smoked carp?
Have you done it before and how did it turn out?

Never cooked one but could be a good use.

Back when there was a Sea Food buffet on a ship anchored in the Vancouver inner, I believe it was called the 7 Seas, I tried Frog Legs.
They tasted just like the smell you got on your hands from playing with Frogs as a kid!

Some years back I was in Quebec, heavily francophone area, and the restaurant had frog legs on the menu.
In my naievety, I asked "if they were local frogs?"
Apparently the locals were familiar with the term 'frog' being applied to french speakers.
By the time the waiter and nearby tables stopped laughing, and assured me no local 'frogs' suffered amputation I felt bound to order them.
Tasty as I recall, about the size of a chicken wing.

you sure wouldnt be eating any carp where i come from in asstario,lol....holmes*

I noticed not many ppl. will eat the(fish)belly meat in the center of the universe,too much toxins... Have a bud (fish/bio. dude)did a study on smallies/local lks. found mercury levels in 3lb.+(smallies) extremely high...the bigger/older the worse it got.
I fished the Indy 500 (Elk lk.) for years caught some large bows/cutties/smallies no boubt this lake is a fish factory... in the beginning I retained a few to eat,but even in the winter they tasted muddy...tried smoking them as Kildonan stated...you can smoke anything & it'll taste good.

Finally idiots releasing non native species/highway noise/water skiers/jet skies/testorone/roid fuelled rowers won out bringing an end to my Indy 500 fishing days!...sammy

wheres the best place to target trout if your fishing from shore? I went out to elk lake dock on sunday and had no luck but I would prefer to get away from the crowds.

If you walk along the path beside the highway there are a couple spots to try. I have seen people fishing off the rock wall closest to the public beach and I have had lots of luck in a boat straight out in front of a shore opening that is near the rowing club. To get there park in the rowing club parking lot and follow the path along the highway. The first clearing you come to is the spot. I was usually fishing from a boat but I would spend lots of time passing back and forth infront of that clearing and hit lots of fish.

Back