Dumb questions at the boat ramp

How about the American beside me at the fish cleaning bench at Cheanuh; "What kind of fish is this?" Thankfully it was a pink.

A few years ago I was walking past the cleaning table at the Nook. A guy was cleaning a couple of salmon around 15 lbs. I did a double take when I saw they were wild coho which were closed. I asked the guy if he knew what he had---- "Chinook, not big , but nice ones" he said. As nicely as I could I suggested that he take a closer look at the gums and the tails.... The light bulb lit up!!! He grabbed one of the fish and almost stuffed his face down the mouth of the coho... "OH No!!! I thought they were springs!!"They are so big!! for coho!" He was obviously really upset at his mistake. he asked me what he should do with them. I told him it was his choice but he really had only two choices.... Run like hell for home with them and hope there were no road blocks, or feed them to the crabs off the cleaning table.--- but it was his choice.

Normally I would have not suggested making a run for it-- but I felt it was a genuine mistake that really was bothering him. After a while thinking about it- he said he would take them home and if he was stopped by DFO he would own up to his mistake and accept the penalty. He thanked me for pointing put the mistake and said he he felt lucky that it wasnt DFO that pointed out his mistake. Thats when I told him I WAS DFO!!!! He almost turned white!!!! until I told him that I work for the Salmonid Enhancement Program-- not as a Fishery Office!!! The moral is-- mistakes do happen, even with the best of intentions .....

Nice one CL...I can see that happening in the excitement of the moment. Don't imagine he will make that mistake twice.

Sorry not a boat ramp but.......
A lot of years back (almost 47) i had walked the Maligne River in Jasper Park all the way to the lake from the end of the road, several miles (buses after that i could not afford). Flyfishing all the way and releasing hordes of small Rainbows and Brookies.
Arriving at the lake with great anticipation because i had been told that there were seriously large Trout there, i stared at the beautiful water and wondered, wet or dry fly? Doc Spratly or Muddler? Mosquito or Adams?
A man approached me and i was a bit puzzled at his appearance. Seemed middle aged, had a Flyrod, check, Stetson, huh? Droopy mustache, hmmm.
But the real shock was the stringer of to me GIANT Brookies! Probably each an honest 2-3 lbs! As he drew near i blurted something like OMG! Whered ya get em? He stopped as i ogled the Holy grails on his stringer (too big for his creel), then after a few moments of sizing me up he spoke in a pronounced western drawl.

You wouldn't tell anybody would you boy? No no no i said! wellllll, he smiled then whispered as he reached a finger to the corner of his mouth hooked a finger in and pulling the skin, said, "right here".......
I stood there dumb for a few secs then had begun to silently walk away when he chuckled and said.... wait!
He then proceeded walk me a hundred yards and coach me about the river mouth, the drop off and a Doc Spratly on a sinking tip. The man was an artist with that Flyrod which i had already greedily noted was a classic Orvis Battenkill! He was a master with it and i was in awe. As he left he waved off my profuse thanks saying, i had yer number kid, enjoy LOL

I always wondered about that "Cowboy" and did not resent the joke being on me.

I lived in Jasper around that time frame. Used to fish Maligne Lake, the river and Medicine Lake a lot. The Brookies were huge, especially in Medicine Lake. Was an amazing piece of water. I think of it often. :)

A couple of months ago I went fishing with a buddy of mine. We pulled his boat into the dock, I lifted up this big 'ol stringer of bass and this idiot on the dock goes, "Hey, y'all catch all them fish?" "Nope -Talked 'em into giving up. Here's your sign."

My Dad and I were out on Sproat Lake near Alberni one time. A boat approached us and yelled to my old man, “hey buddy, which way is Bamfield?”

not at the ramp but years ago I had a client ask me if fish ever get thirsty. I had no answer, does anybody...

Fish in saltwater do get thirsty, but I'm not sure how they remedy this. I believe they can drink saltwater and excrete the salts (maybe that is why their urine is extremely salty)...Freshwater fish don't get thirsty, they are constantly 'drinking' via osmosis (their body is more salty than their environment).

This wasn't at the ramp but a friend of mine, who had been fishing salmon for a couple years, texted me with a question. He had taken his boat out to the west side of the Island and just caught his first halibut and had it on the cleaning table, fillet knife at the ready.

"Where is it's butthole?" is what he wanted to know. Having only filleted salmon he was shocked to discover he needed to look under it's armpits.

Fish in saltwater do get thirsty, but I'm not sure how they remedy this. I believe they can drink saltwater and excrete the salts (maybe that is why their urine is extremely salty)...Freshwater fish don't get thirsty, they are constantly 'drinking' via osmosis (their body is more salty than their environment).

This wasn't at the ramp but a friend of mine, who had been fishing salmon for a couple years, texted me with a question. He had taken his boat out to the west side of the Island and just caught his first halibut and had it on the cleaning table, fillet knife at the ready.

"Where is it's butthole?" is what he wanted to know. Having only filleted salmon he was shocked to discover he needed to look under it's armpits.

Ummm...i think i speak for all in asking; how do you know salmon urine is salty? :eek:

I don't mind the questions at the boat ramp from well meaning but stunned tourists. But when same icecream-licking bunnies walk or drive cluelessly behind me whilst I'm trying to back down to very busy midsummer ramp? Gaaragh!! I know it's impolite but the horn does get used. Something gotta wake 'em up.

Many years back ,we were headed down to the dock in cougar cr,430 in the morning and fishing partner says "sure is cold this morning,how high above sea level are we"

"a few bucks" , they usually get the point
a buddy of mine on the other hand constantly asks that question , "so what'ya pay", "how much was that" now I just laugh and say a ridiculous amount, he usually walks away puzzled , lol
You and I probably have the same buddy :D

several years ago, My dad was fishing a few miles west of Port Angeles at freshwater bay in the fog, When a small 16 foot boat motors over to him and asked which way to Victoria.

several years ago, My dad was fishing a few miles west of Port Angeles at freshwater bay in the fog, When a small 16 foot boat motors over to him and asked which way to Victoria.
Did he see packages destined for the Canadian market? :)

"a few bucks" , they usually get the point
a buddy of mine on the other hand constantly asks that question , "so what'ya pay", "how much was that" now I just laugh and say a ridiculous amount, he usually walks away puzzled , lol

I admit that I do this. I buy and sell off the classifieds all the time. Sort of a hobby that puts a few bucks in my pocket. And the added bonus of making a real score every once in a while. Also means I ask everybody what they paid for just about everything. I’m not asking about your financial situation, It’s how I keep up on current prices.

No, He was fishing in Victoria and obviously got turned around in the fog.

Wow I fish the PA Humps a lot, it is a long run in a small boat to Victoria!!!

Way back in the 1970's I fished the same area: No GPS and I was too poor with too small a boat for Loran. My navigation was the compass and a Coastal Navigator 60/60 sounder. When It was time to run back to the ramp on Ediz Hook I would shut the engine off and listen for the thump thump of the big air compressor at the Crown Zellerbach Mill on the Hook. Head towards the thumping and watch the sounder, when I got to 100 feet I would turn east and run along the hook. Fun days for sure. And when I got back to the ramp there was always some one asking where I had been and how did I get back in all the thick fog. I would say I had a good homing instinct.

Did he see packages destined for the Canadian market? :)

In those times the packages would be coming from Vancouver Island in a zodiac (boat of choice, low radar return) and generally headed to Freshwater Bay or Crescent Bay. Hockey bags full of B.C. Bud.

Although in the 1970's when I moved to the PA area there was a beer workers strike in B.C. A lot of the guys here would run out to the middle of the straits with cases of beer and transfer to boats from Vancouver Island for a nominal fee.

In those times the packages would be coming from Vancouver Island in a zodiac (boat of choice, low radar return) and generally headed to Freshwater Bay or Crescent Bay. Hockey bags full of B.C. Bud.

Although in the 1970's when I moved to the PA area there was a beer workers strike in B.C. A lot of the guys here would run out to the middle of the straits with cases of beer and transfer to boats from Vancouver Island for a nominal fee.
I need someone to do that with some Lucky lager about once a week. Cant find it over here.

Back