Drifting for Hali near Bamfield

Was just doing my report for Bamfield thread.
Got out to 7 mile Monday but the conditions wernt the best for drifting. Windy a lil choppy and couldn't get the lines to stay straight down. So decided to drop lines to the bottom and troll. About 40 mind in had a rod go off that was typical Hali bite from the few I've seen. Had good weight to it and finally got it to the surface when a huge sea lion decided he wanted my fish. He literally sat behind my boat and shook and smashed my fish as if he was laughing at me. Tried to run boat at it in the hopes he would let go. Didn't happen. He tore the head right off and I could see the body slowly sinking. Tried to net but to far down. At the same time lost the ball and braid from other rigger. So no fish. Lost gear but at least a decent adventure. Decided to keep trolling with the one rigger and did catch a few small hatchery springs which were released. Got back to Van last night but heading up again for 8 days next Tuesday.
Will definately be out there again with hopefully more favorable conditions for drifting and also talked to a neighbor about learning how to anchor as those guys seem to definately get there fish.
Capt mo

Was just doing my report for Bamfield thread.
Got out to 7 mile Monday but the conditions wernt the best for drifting. Windy a lil choppy and couldn't get the lines to stay straight down. So decided to drop lines to the bottom and troll. About 40 mind in had a rod go off that was typical Hali bite from the few I've seen. Had good weight to it and finally got it to the surface when a huge sea lion decided he wanted my fish. He literally sat behind my boat and shook and smashed my fish as if he was laughing at me. Tried to run boat at it in the hopes he would let go. Didn't happen. He tore the head right off and I could see the body slowly sinking. Tried to net but to far down. At the same time lost the ball and braid from other rigger. So no fish. Lost gear but at least a decent adventure. Decided to keep trolling with the one rigger and did catch a few small hatchery springs which were released. Got back to Van last night but heading up again for 8 days next Tuesday.
Will definately be out there again with hopefully more favorable conditions for drifting and also talked to a neighbor about learning how to anchor as those guys seem to definately get there fish.
Capt mo

Ohhh wow thats a good story at least. Hopefully you get better weather next week. I am sure you will in that 8 days. Ive thought about trolling the bottom the same way but hate loosing balls and gear if hung up. I will be up 1st week of July

I have got halibut back from sea lions by running the boat right back on top of them while keeping pressure on the rod. It’s easier with bigger Hali’s as they need more time to thrash them apart. They don’t like it when you steal back your halibut

Back